Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for SharePoint

sharepointadmin

Hello,

I just started looking at the tool SnapManager for SharePoint for BLOB storage. I have a few questions about it that I haven't seen in the doc so far.

(note the tool was already installed and running, but that's it, no cofigurations)

1. Does the snap manager have to be running on the same server as SharePoint?  https://servername:1400/docave.aspx

2. I'm unable to view my sharepoint farm, to configure the BLOB, is this because of #1?

3. I ran the AgentTools for the RBS on my SharePoint WFE server and it insalled successfully, took a long time, but installed, is there something else I need to run on my WFE?

any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

gcheryl

Hello,

1. Does the snap manager have to be running on the same server as SharePoint?  https://servername:1400/docave.aspx 

SnapManager for SharePoint (SMSP) has 2 installation components:

a. SMSP Manager - You can choose to install this on a machine from where you can manage multiple SharePoint farms.

b. SMSP Agent - This component needs to be installed on each SharePoint server in the farm. When you install the Agent, you need to furnish the details of the SMSP Manager it needs to communicate with.

2. I'm unable to view my sharepoint farm, to configure the BLOB, is this because of #1?

Right, you need to install the SMSP Agent on every SharePoint server in the farm.

3. I ran the AgentTools for the RBS on my SharePoint WFE server and it insalled successfully, took a long time, but installed, is there something else I need to run on my WFE?

There are optional SMSP Storage Optimization modules as below that need to be licensed sepeately per SharePoint server.

a. Storage Manager - SMSP leverages SharePoint Remote BLOB Storage (RBS) Provider technology to deliver lower storage costs through intelligent archiving and real-time BLOB offloading to NetApp CIFS shares. RBS is a feature that is installed on the SharePoint Web Front End (WFE), through the SMSP agent installation process.

b. Archive Manager - With Archive Manager, SharePoint administrators can build a complete policy-based SharePoint data management solution that complies with information governance requirements. And with the advanced search feature, archived data can be searched based on user-defined criteria.

c. Connector - to collaborate upon network file shares and cloud storage resources directly through SharePoint without migration. Connected content appears as normal SharePoint content, and can be leveraged exactly as if it were residing within a SharePoint document library. All of SharePoint’s powerful document management functionality–including permissions management, workflows, alerts, and versioning–can be applied to connected content.

Regards,

Cheryl George

Public