Data Backup and Recovery

SnapProtect v10 SP10 - Error while trying to backup Hyper-V VM - Hyper-V VSS Writer

frank_iro

Hi Guys,

I have a standalone Hyper-V hosts (2012 R2) with a couple of VM running on NetApp LUNs. I have a separate LUN for each VM. I've configured a backup using the SnapProtect Hyper-V iDA. However, when I run the backup, I get the following error:

The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur.

When logged in to the Hyper-V hosts, running vssadmin list writers shows that the Hyper-V vss writer is in error state:

Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'
   Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
   Writer Instance Id: {99101aa6-05c5-4f05-a340-73fb8e5e18d5}
   State: [8] Failed
   Last error: Non-retryable error

Any clues on how to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

frank_iro

Ok, figured it out!

Hyper-V on server 2012 R2 doesn't seem to like VM disks (vhds) stored in the root of the drive (e.g. in D:\vm.vhd). Doing this results in the stated error. Instead, create a folder, and move the vhd into the folder (e.g. D:\vm\vm.vhd). Then the error clears and backups are successful.

Hope that helps someone... someday.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

frank_iro

Ok, figured it out!

Hyper-V on server 2012 R2 doesn't seem to like VM disks (vhds) stored in the root of the drive (e.g. in D:\vm.vhd). Doing this results in the stated error. Instead, create a folder, and move the vhd into the folder (e.g. D:\vm\vm.vhd). Then the error clears and backups are successful.

Hope that helps someone... someday.

Public