Data Backup and Recovery

Snapdrive with Multiple domains

chris_mckean

Hi Guys,

Here's the scenario.  I have a windows box that already belongs to a domain (We'll call it domain A).  It has luns mapped already through snapdrive.  I am trying to map another LUN on the machine through snapdrive that lives on a filer belonging to another domain (Domain B).  Domain A and B do not have a trust between them and this is not possible because of company regulations at the moment.

I have seem you can use pass through authentication on snapdrive and use a local account on the machine if you need snapdrive to talk to a filer belonging to a different domain.  The only question I have on this is if I change the default logon that snapdrive uses on the server to a local admin from a domain admin will it mess up the existing LUNS mapping through snapdrive now or when the machine reboots?

Hoping somebody can help me

Cheers

Chris

8 REPLIES 8

aborzenkov

You could use HTTP(S) as communication protocol between SD and filer, in this case it is independent of Windows accounts – it will be using filer accounts for authentication.

chris_mckean

Hi,

Would this not mean some sort of downtime for the LUNS already mapped?  This is something I am trying to avoid.

Cheers

Chris

aborzenkov

Well, access to LUNs does not require SnapDrive at all. But you should be able to go into SD properties and change protocol and credentials. If this won’t work you always can change back.

chris_mckean

Also, I can not see where this can be changed in snapdrive or it's services.  Do you know how to do this?

Cheers

Chris

aborzenkov

Which version do you have? HTTP should be supported as of 6.0 I think.

chris_mckean

Hi,

We have version 6.11.  I am aware you can skip using snapdrive all together for mapping the LUNS and presenting them to the machine.  On this machine we could do it but on future machines we need to use snap manager for SQL which interects with snapdrive I think.

I can see where to change the password but not the protocol that it uses.

Cheers

Chris

aborzenkov

I do not remember where to do it in GUI, but you can manage it using CLI: sdcli transport_protocol

fjohn

"Here's the scenario.  I have a windows box that already belongs to a domain (We'll call it domain A).  It has luns mapped already through snapdrive.  I am trying to map another LUN on the machine through snapdrive that lives on a filer belonging to another domain (Domain B).  Domain A and B do not have a trust between them and this is not possible because of company regulations at the moment."

This presents a problem with domain authentication because there is no trusts.  There are really two ways to deal with this:

1.  Use HTTPS authentication and a local account on the filer.

2.  Create a local account on the filer that has the same name and password as the domain account(s):

If I am using Domain1\Snapdrive and  Domain2\Snapdrive, then I would create a local account on the filer called "Snapdrive", and make sure the password for both domain accounts and the local account are the same.

J

Public