Data Backup and Recovery

VSC no longer has backup VM option

versnons

Hi,

We have recently upgraded our Vmware environment from 5.5 to 6.5 and our ontap environment from 7 to 9.1 CDOT.

We used to backup VMs using VSC only.  This saved the VM to snapshot and we used snapmirror to replicate this to another site.

When i install VSC in our new environment there is now no longer an option to create backup policies or backup now on VMs.  Am i missing something or do i now need to use something like snapcenter to do this?

Thanks very much for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SpindleNinja

That seems like an older doc your referencing (assuming you're on ONTAP 9).  I don't think the "register" part is there anymore.  

Give this a read over: 

http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-41/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-con%2FGUID-49D66AC0-F012-4993-80BD-8F3353F80220.html&cp=1_1_3

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SpindleNinja

That functionality has moved to SnapCenter. 

versnons

Thank you,

This i thought was a little confusing as i read in the documentation:

VSC seamlessly supports backups created using its backup feature and those created using SnapCenter. VSC automatically uses SnapCenter for backups if you are running clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.2 or later and you have registered VSC with SnapCenter. VSC uses its backup feature in the following situations:

• You are running a version of clustered Data ONTAP prior to 8.2.2
  • You are running Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode
  • You did not register VSC with SnapCenter

This suggests that VSC only uses snapcenter when you register it with snapcenter?

SpindleNinja

That seems like an older doc your referencing (assuming you're on ONTAP 9).  I don't think the "register" part is there anymore.  

Give this a read over: 

http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-41/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-con%2FGUID-49D66AC0-F012-4993-80BD-8F3353F80220.html&cp=1_1_3

versnons

Ok thats perfect, thanks for clarifying.  Will start planning for Snapcenter.

Public