Data Backup and Recovery

Virtual Storage Console 7.1 and Backup Jobs

JCutter03

Hey everyone we just got a new NetApp and are setting up our VMware environment on it. We already have one older setup hosting our VMware environment using VSC 6.2.1 and we do snapshots of our VM's through there (vm consistent snapshots)

We are rolling out VSC 7.1 with CDOT 9.2 and it looks like the backup jobs option is completely gone? I see mentions of SRA but needing certain licenses with NetApp (which we dont have)

My question is... am I overlooking something? Can I no longer do this with VSC 7.1? Can I no longer just manage snapshots and do restores from snapshots through the VSC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scortez

Starting in VSC 7.0, Backup and Recovery features have been migrated from VSC to it's very own Plug-in in SnapCenter. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

scortez

Starting in VSC 7.0, Backup and Recovery features have been migrated from VSC to it's very own Plug-in in SnapCenter. 

JCutter03

Thanks!

Does SnapCenter require Snap* licenses?

MSEBEL1980

Have you had success with this upgrade/migration? We are getting ready to undertake a big upgrade from 6.2.1 doing nightly backups of nearly 5000 systems via VSC and now having to move into this mess of software Netapp has created.

scortez

NetApp Import Utility for SnapCenter and Virtual Storage Console: https://mysupport.netapp.com/tools/info/ECMLP2840096I.html?productID=62135&pcfContentID=ECMLP2840096

YouTube Video Demo of the Import Tool: https://youtu.be/CEQmIEzNVfA 

MSEBEL1980

We utilize the included Backup/Recovery stuff in VSC 6.2.1 with no SnapCenter integration. We are not using VASA but are using SRA 4.0 for SRM under the same vCenter.

Thanks for the links. I have also found https://community.netapp.com/t5/VMware-Solutions-Discussions/Upgrade-VSC-from-VSC-6-2-to-VSC-7-0-Retain-backup-policy/m-p/137294/highlight/true#M9163 which seems like it might be worth following?

Does this import tool work to go straight to SnapCenter 4.0?

scortez

Yes thats a good set up instructions also the migration tools does go straight to SC 4.0.  

MSEBEL1980

@scortez

In the VSC 7 install guide https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2770249, page 56 Step #4 says to "Delete any pre-configured VSC roles" before doing the upgrade/migration. Is that still necessary?

scortez

@MSEBEL1980 Yes, its still best practice.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Just a quick note: we were going to go to 7.x ourselves and couldn't because we use linked mode in vCenter. One of our linked vCenters hosts our systems that are still in 7-mode, while the other points to our cdot systems. My understanding is that this configuration is not supported in SnapCenter, so we are staying with 6.x for now and hoping that SC will add support later.

scortez

@TMADOCTHOMAS i need some more information of your environment before i can correctl answer that, you can email me if you prefer instead 

MSEBEL1980

@scortez, can VSC 6.2.1 and SnapCenter4 exist under the same vCenter? Can we disable the SMVI jobs that 6.2.1 is handling and recreate the jobs under SnapCenter4 while still being able to restore data from the 6.2.1 jobs?

Chris_Jones

You can 100% run VSC 6.2.1 and SnapCenter 4.0 in the same environment. And you can still use VSC to restore backups that were created in VSC. I've tested this and it works as expected.

There is another thread here, https://community.netapp.com/t5/VMware-Solutions-Discussions/Upgrade-VSC-from-VSC-6-2-to-VSC-7-0-Retain-backup-policy/m-p/137294#M9163, where we actually ran through the entire migration process of upgrading VSC and retaining backup jobs.

I have completed this for a few customers now and each has been successful.

If in doubt, create new jobs with SnapCenter as you suggested and wait until your existing VSC jobs reach your desired retention and then delete the snapshots (VSC only removes older restore points after a job runs, so you will need to remove the snapshots manually), and then upgrade to VSC 7.1.

TMADOCTHOMAS

It sounds like this is the solution for my situation as well. As I mentioned we have linked mode with one vCenter hosting our 7-mode systems and one hosting cdot. If we retain VSC 6.2.1 for the 7-mode systems but ADD SnapCenter to the mix for cdot systems, I assume that would work, correct? Then at a later date once we've migrated remote offices to cdot we could eliminate VSC or upgrade it to the latest release if we still needed it for someothing other than backups.

MSEBEL1980

I think this is exactly how we're going to handle all this. I don't even want to mess with the VSC backup import stuff as it just looks like there's too many "gotchas."

Public