Data Backup and Recovery

Windows 2008 Failover Cluster Migration

Willybobs27

I have a Windows 2008 Failover cluster running SQL. This is required to to be migrated to a different NetApp.

In the past I have done this operation with Windows 2003 Clusters and had to be careful with disk signatures and use a Microsoft tool to re-add resources etc.

Has anyone done this with a Windows 2008 failover cluster? If so do you have the method? Are there any papers on this?

I know I can simply add new disk using Snap Drive then migrate using Snap Manager for SQL but I wondered if there were a method using Snap Mirror that might be more time effective with less downtime.

1 REPLY 1

wduvall02

I just performed this migration this week for our SQL database.  I used QSM (Because I was migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit).

- Create new igroups on new filer and verify settings before the outage.

- Snapmirror volumes.  Make sure to allow this to complete ahead of time to reduce the length of the outage

- Shutdown the Cluster

- Unmap the LUNs

- Update Snapmirror relationship

- Quiesce and Break the relationship

- Map LUNs to igroups on new filer (I used the same LUN IDs to be safe)

- Rescanned for disks on the hosts

- Brought the disks online for the host that last held the reservations.  The disks will show "Reserved"

- Brought the disks online for the other node's in the cluster.

- Startup the cluster and verify the disks show up as they should.

I then failed over all of the cluster resources to the other node to verify they came up properly.  I had to do this from the command line (Run as administrator) and use "disk group /status" to find the resources then use "disk group <GROUP> /move:<NODE>

This took about half an hour from shutdown to verify as I had most of the commands on the filer scripted out ahead of time.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public