Data Backup and Recovery

can I use a flash pool with a FAS3140

ANTON_MSSM

hi, I have a FAS3140 with DOT 8.0.2 7-mode.

Can I get SSD+SATA and a do a flash pool aggregate ?

What are requirements ?

Will it work in conjunction with flash cache (pamii) already in the system ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

You can't upgrade memory on a NetApp filer.

The lowest ONTAP version to support Flash Cache on 3140 is 8.1.1, but I'd recommend going to 8.1.2 - same hassle to upgrade, less bugs!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

radek_kubka

Hi Anton,

No, you can't - Flash Pool is not supported on FAS3140.

Flash Cache support is limited to existing installations only & (max 0.5TB per HA pair), but (funnily enough) - it is not supported at all on your ONTAP version. You should consider upgrading ONTAP to 8.1.2 as quickly as possible.

Regards,
Radek

ANTON_MSSM

thanks Radek, I figured thats its only being advertised on the 2200 series.

RE; upgrading code, yes that I have planned on doing.

BTW I have flash cache running now at 256gb on my 8.0.2 filer

radek_kubka

Flash Pool is supported on 3200 (excluding 3210) and 6200 filers as well - the problem of 3140 is low memory: only 4GB, versus 6GB on current 2200 series systems.

Your current setup with Flash Cache is definitely unsupported & from the top of my head there is a good reason for that: a bug which may cause out of memory condition & filer panic.

ANTON_MSSM

Ok, other than updating DOT, can I bump up the memory in this unit or is that not possible ?

If I upgrade to latest GA 8.1, can I re-enable flash cache ?

radek_kubka

You can't upgrade memory on a NetApp filer.

The lowest ONTAP version to support Flash Cache on 3140 is 8.1.1, but I'd recommend going to 8.1.2 - same hassle to upgrade, less bugs!

ANTON_MSSM

thanks again

paul_wolf

I would recommend 8.1.2P4.  There are numerous bugs in 8.1.2 and patches below P4. Of course there might be bugs in P4 but so far haven't hit them (P4 was released May 10th).

radek_kubka

yes, true - we always recommend the latest P version available.

It tends to be shooting to a moving target though: at the time of writing we are on P4, but who knows what version will be available in, say, one month? (by that time 8.1.3 may become GA, or 8.2 will be more feasible to implement if SnapDrive / SnapManager gaps are plugged)

Public