Data Backup and Recovery

ndmp sql & exchange

leszek_bania

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you ,if this is a good idee to use NDMP as backup solution for SQL/Exchange/Vmware.

We have setup fas2040 and symantec backup exec to backup all volumes via NDMP.

To be sure ,we have also tried to recovery backup from tape , SQL/Vmware/Exchange datastores works perfectly. There was not issue with recovering and bringing up resources.

Shouldn`t I use snapshots created by Snapsot Managers (SQL/Ex/Vm) to backup data to tapes ?

Is this a safe way to use NDMP for SQL/VM/Ex ?

thanks for reply

1 REPLY 1

olson

Greetings,

By Default the NDMP process will create a snapshot however it can be used to back up the data in a snapshot directory. You should use the  Snap Manager backups as they have been validated at the application level with a verification either with DBCC or eseutil respectively. I have customers who have run added a run after commands that call backup jobs or record the snapshot name in a file to be referenced by the backup software later. You may also choose to use the _recent naming scheme, you can use that can simplify the need to run a backup after however will inhibit other backups until the dump to tape completes.

Regards,

John

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public