Data Backup and Recovery

snapcreator 3.4.0 confusing gui label "Snapshot Deletion"

pascalc

hello

since upgrading from snapcreator 3.3.0 to 3.4.0, no snapshots are deleted automatically anymoire.

I am testing with a testthin volume where I have configured a hourly policy with maximum 2 snapshots.

I am starting snap from the configuration profile, and I now have more than 2 hourly snapshots on this volume.

The log is showing no action

########## POST NETAPP DATA TRANSFER COMMANDS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY ##########

########## Running NetApp Snapshot Delete on Primary fas3140b ##########

########## POST NETAPP COMMANDS ##########

[Mon Jul 18 11:24:32 2011] INFO: No commands defined

########## POST NETAPP COMMANDS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY ##########

can this be a configuration or update problem ?

This is the same behaviour for ALL my profiles.

5 REPLIES 5

ktenzer

NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=Y

This means we dont delete snapshots, change it to NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=N

Keith

pascalc

OK I found why and where I was confused.

If you look in the profile statements then you are right I find : NTAP_SNAPSHOT_NODELETE=Y

But just open this same profile in GUI and you find :   Snapshot Deletion [ Yes ]

The culprit is the GUI label which is false.

Please correct it in next version :  "Snapshot Deletion" should be replaced by  "Prevent Snapshot Deletion"

Btw it is not good practice to use negative expression, because the mind is quickly confused by double-negative expressions.

ktenzer

Nice catch this is bug in GUI, openeing a BUG...we will fix it

Thanks for the help!

Keith

pascalc

While you are at it, I suggest also adding a message in the log when no snapshot will be deleted because of configuration choice in profile.  Something like "No snapshot deletion will occur because configuration profile parameter prevents snapshot deletion."

There is no message today when this situation occurs, but lots of message when snapshots are deleted.

🙂

ktenzer

Yep good point, I will see that a bug gets filed for this too

Keith

Public