Microsoft Virtualization Discussions

SCVMM 2012 R2 Does Not Recognize Available Space Utilizing SMI-S Agent 5.2 for SMB/CIFS Shares

NickHawkins

Hello Community -

I am having a small issue with the SMI-S Agent along with SCVMM 2012 R2. Here is a breif summary of this environment:

- NetApp 8020 Cluster running 8.2.1

- SMI-S Agent Version 5.2

- System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2

I am able to use the SMI-S provider in SCVMM to provision and allocate LUNs to Hyper-V hosts just fine. I can also provision SMB shares just fine, the problem is that SCVMM does not recognize any free space on the file server side:

2015-01-19_12-02-14.jpg

I can then provision share access to the Hyper-V hosts but SCVMM will not rate this share as a suitable place to store a VM of any size because it sees 0MB/GB of available capacity which is to small for any VM. 

Wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem in the community. Or if you have a working solution which versions of the software are you running?

Thanks,

-Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChanceBingen

Nick, can you try this and see if it resolves the issue?

For each SVM
1. Turn off quotas

Ex:. cluster::> quota off -volume <volume_name> -vserver <vserver_name>

2. Add one default quota rule of type 'tree' on each volumes hosting SMB shares.

Note: If one already exists, this will fail, which is an expected behavior and fine.
Ex: cluster::> quota policy rule create -vserver <vserver_name> -policy-name default -volume <volume_name> -type tree -target ""

3. Turn on the quotas for that volume and restart SMI-S agent.

Ex: cluster::> quota on -volume <volume_name> -vserver <vserver_name>

{wait for job to complete}
Ex: cluster::> quota show -vserver <vserver_name>

Please let me know if that does the trick.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ChanceBingen

Nick, can you try this and see if it resolves the issue?

For each SVM
1. Turn off quotas

Ex:. cluster::> quota off -volume <volume_name> -vserver <vserver_name>

2. Add one default quota rule of type 'tree' on each volumes hosting SMB shares.

Note: If one already exists, this will fail, which is an expected behavior and fine.
Ex: cluster::> quota policy rule create -vserver <vserver_name> -policy-name default -volume <volume_name> -type tree -target ""

3. Turn on the quotas for that volume and restart SMI-S agent.

Ex: cluster::> quota on -volume <volume_name> -vserver <vserver_name>

{wait for job to complete}
Ex: cluster::> quota show -vserver <vserver_name>

Please let me know if that does the trick.

ChanceBingen

By the way, the share "size" that you define in VMM is implemented as a hard quota on a qtree in the NetApp cluster.

That's why I'm looking at this from the quota angle.

NickHawkins

Hi Bingen -

THank you for replying to this post. I was actually going to update this today that I have the issue resolved. My issue was that I had no default quota of the type tree on the volume I was using to provision SMB shares from SCVMM. Once SCVMM provisions a share it creates the qtree and share with a hard quata tied to the qtree. 

The solution you outlined was what I applied after working with NetApp support. 

Thank you for your help.

-Nick

BLANDATFAU

Having the same issue here for two shares. I tried the steps suggested as well as removing the netapp provider from vmm and adding it back. Anything other suggestions? And is there a way i can query this information with the smis command on the server hosting the smis agent?

Thanks!

Public