Network and Storage Protocols

AltaVault slow SMB from Server 2012

jhuston

Hello-

We have a new altavault that I am struggling to get working correctly. Just for inital setup it has a single 10GB connection to a 10GB port in our Cisco 3850 server stack. Port is set as access and set to the correct Vlan for the AltaVault data port.

-  All of our Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 machines have super slow transfer to SMB shares on the Altvault 99% of the time. Here is what I ahve done t troubleshoot:

- We are 100% virtual with a mix of CIsco UCS chassis and HP DL380 G8 servers. 2012 server OS on either have the smae issue.

• Backup servers (3) which are all windows 2012r2 get ~2-5MB/s transfer speeds to a AltaVault SMB share. Oddly enough once in about 15 file transfer tests it will run full speed ~250MB/s. Stop the transfer and kick off another and its back down to 2MB/s.
  • Tested sending from another 2012 server that is running on a different physical server and even different brand of server, UCS VS HP, ~ 5MB/s speed.
  • Tested 2 different 2008 R2 servers on different physical servers, they both maintained ~150-175MB/s to the SMB share.
  • On the 2012 virtual servers I have disabled IPV6.
  • On the 2012 virtual servers I have tried a E1000 Intel virtual NIC and VMXNET3 as well as reinstalling VMware tools, no change.
  • The 2012 servers can maintain ~150-175MB/s transfer between each other.

I'm out of ideas.... I do have a open case but I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has seen this.

1 REPLY 1

lederman

Any resolution/movement on this issue?

Thanks,

Luke

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public