Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS / NFS dependencies on ONTAP upgrade?

McCranium

I'm embarrased to even put this question on the community forums but here it is:

I'm working with an MSP (managed services provider)  to upgrade the ONTAP versions to 8.3.2 (and then 9.x). There is a concern there are software dependencies for servers that map an SMB share or mount and NFS volume. Honestly, I can’t think of any such dependency, but their insistence has me very confused. For FC, iSCSI and FCoE I can see that there could be software dependencies like the DSM, host utilities or SnapDrive etc. But on a host that simply mounts an NFS volume?  Maybe if the server is using a really old version of SMB or NFS but I see even 9.1/9.2 supports SMB 1.0…so again, no idea what the concern is.

Is anyone aware of any dependencies on NFS/CIFS related to a DataONTAP upgrade to 8.3.2 or 9.1?

4 REPLIES 4

GidonMarcus

McCranium

Awesome GidonMarcus, appreciate the point to those articles. I had been working with a NetApp prof. service resource and we working on cleaning up the gateways. I believe my managed services team was more concerned about software dependencies. I believe they were thinking there was some kind of client software that may need updating to access CIFS/NFS volumes as part of the upgrade but I just couldn't think of any. That said, I'll make sure they consider the above links. 

As for our versions we are upgrading from an old version -  8.2.3 P3 to 8.3 and then to 9.x (not sure which version yet).

Again, thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Brent 

McCranium

Also I've seen reports for CIFS /NFS and FC in OnCommand Insight that try to tackle this challenge. It tracks clients that have connected via these protocols and keeps a running tally. This is a backend report in the Cognos Datawarehouse. if you haven't had a chance to check out OCI, give it a look. It may just be what you're looking for. 

Sahana

Please refer the below links

Configuration requirements https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1636041 on page 27

Preparing to update the cluster https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2492712 on page 14

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public