Network and Storage Protocols

CIFS cannot connect to AD LDAP server or DC

TRACYLAUGLE

Hello.  I am a fairly new NetApp admin, and have very little formal training on NetApps.  I was thrown into the job, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.  We have multiple NetApps in a WAN.  One the of filers I have from out of state is not behaving well.  I can't access the CIFS share on the filer, and when I putty into the filer, it starts throwing errors.  There are two domain controllers in the same rack as the filer, so it should be able to connect with no issue.  I ran a "cifs domaininfo" query, and this was my response:

XXXFSG01> cifs domaininfo

Tue Jul 30 14:08:38 GMT [auth.ldap.trace.LDAPConnection.statusMsg:info]: AUTH: TraceLDAPServer- Starting AD LDAP server address discovery for C2.ACC.AF.SMIL.MIL.

Tue Jul 30 14:08:38 GMT [auth.ldap.trace.LDAPConnection.statusMsg:info]: AUTH: TraceLDAPServer- Found 2 AD LDAP server addresses from CIFS PREFDC command.

Tue Jul 30 14:08:38 GMT [auth.ldap.trace.LDAPConnection.statusMsg:info]: AUTH: TraceLDAPServer- Found 4 AD LDAP server addresses using generic DNS query.

Tue Jul 30 14:08:39 GMT [auth.ldap.trace.LDAPConnection.statusMsg:info]: AUTH: TraceLDAPServer- AD LDAP server address discovery for C2.ACC.AF.SMIL.MIL complete. 5 unique addresses found.

Tue Jul 30 14:08:40 GMT [cifs.trace.GSS:error]: AUTH: Unable to acquire filer credentials: (0x96c73a18) Invalid password.

Tue Jul 30 14:08:41 GMT last message repeated 2 times

Tue Jul 30 14:08:41 GMT [cifs.trace.GSS:error]: AUTH: Could not obtain filer credentials.

Tue Jul 30 14:08:41 GMT [auth.dc.trace.DCConnection.errorMsg:error]: AUTH: Domain Controller error: NetLogon error 0xc0000001: operation with DC failed, see previous messages.

Tue Jul 30 14:09:01 GMT [cifs.trace.GSS:error]: AUTH: Unable to acquire filer credentials: (0x96c73a18) Invalid password.

NetBios Domain:           XX-XXX

Windows 2000 Domain Name: DOMAIN.COM

Type:                     Windows 2000

Filer AD Site:            none

Not currently connected to any DCs

Preferred Addresses:

None

Favored Addresses:

None

Other Addresses:

None

Not currently connected to any AD LDAP server

Preferred Addresses:

XXX.XXX.142.15   BROKEN

XXXDCG02.domain.com

XXX.XXX.142.16   BROKEN

XXXDCG03.domain.com

Favored Addresses:

None

Other Addresses:

XXX.XXX.200.2   BROKEN

zzzdcg02.domain.com

XXX.XXX.10.212  BROKEN

zzzdcg02.domain.com

XXX.XXX.10.211  BROKEN

zzzdcg01.domain.com

XXXFSG01> Tue Jul 30 14:09:41 GMT last message repeated 2 times

Tue Jul 30 14:09:41 GMT [cifs.trace.GSS:error]: AUTH: Unable to acquire filer credentials: (0x96c73a18) Invalid password.

Tue Jul 30 14:09:41 GMT [cifs.trace.GSS:error]: AUTH: Could not obtain filer credentials.

Tue Jul 30 14:09:41 GMT [auth.dc.trace.DCConnection.errorMsg:error]: AUTH: Domain Controller error: NetLogon error 0xc0000001: operation with DC failed, see previous messages.

I have checked out my AD structure, and there are no issues that I can find.  I also ran a dcdiag on the domain controllers, and there were no errors.  I even tried deleting the filer from Active Directory and recreating it, but that didn't help.  I keep getting the message that there is an invalid password, but I have no idea what password it is referring to.  The time is also good between the NetApp and the DCs.  Obviously, the NetApp thinks there is something wrong with the AD, but I have no idea where to go from here.  None of my other NetApps is having this issue.  Any help will be much appreciated.

Tracy

6 REPLIES 6

vims

Hi

I'd try cifs testdc and rerun cifs setup

it looks like filers can't talk to DC. could be network issue as well. Just guessing

regards

TRACYLAUGLE

That fixed it! Thanks so much.

Lloyd_Price

Ummm Tracy, for the rest of us please. What fixed it?

JERKY

SMIL.MIL.   The answer is classified. =P

My guess is this specific issue was: Tue Jul 30 14:08:40 GMT [cifs.trace.GSS:error]: AUTH: Unable to acquire filer credentials: (0x96c73a18) Invalid password.

which was fixed by rerunning cifs setup.

@Lloyd_Price wrote:

Ummm Tracy, for the rest of us please. What fixed it?

Lucas_Cassule

this option fixed my problem

nigelg1965

As previously said network is a possible cause.

Other things could be time on filer is too far off time on DC.

AD object for filer has been deleted or change by a Windows admin.

If all users are experiencing a problem, you may need to rebind it to AD - run CIFS setup at command prompt

Public