Can't get ConvertTo-NcVhd to work on vmdk in an NFS datastore on cluster mode

LENNYBBROWN

First the basics:

8.2 cluster mode

SVM named: epsn001

NFS export: esvcc_nfs_migration

Path in export to vmdk: /DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk

Commands:

Connect-NcController -Name {IP address to cluster management port here} -Credential $cred {credential is for admin}

ConvertTo-NcVhd -SourceVmdk /epsn001/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk

Results in:

WARNING: This cmdlet may have limited functionality without administrator privileges.
ConvertTo-NcVhd : CreateFile (open volume) failed
At C:\Users\epusoelb6081\Documents\convert.ps1:8 char:1
+ ConvertTo-NcVhd -SourceVmdk /epsn001/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVWS180.vmdk ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [ConvertTo-NaVhd], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.HyperV.ConvertToNaVhd

Has anyone managed to get this command to work in cluster mode on a vmdk in an NFS datastore?  The docs for ConvertTo-NcVhd appear to be a copy/paste of ConvertTo-NaVhd and include the language and examples specifying /vol/{volume} path (which doesn't work either) which I wouldn't expect to work in cluster mode since you need to be able to specify the SVM of the vmdk.

2 REPLIES 2

Aparajita

"-SourceVmdk /epsn001/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk"

I believe this is where the problem lies. The path here should just be the volume path "/vol/esvcc_nfs_migration/DEVWS180/DEVFS180.vmdk", not "vserver/volume".

billyd

Have you tried running your Powershell window 'As Administrator'?  That seems to be the first issue.

I believe you also need to declare the destination for your VHD file by adding -DestinationVHD parameter.

You also need to connect directly to the VSM instead of the cluster.  Add -VServer parameter to your connect command.

Let me know if that doesn't solve your issue.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public