Network and Storage Protocols

Extremely slow SVN checkout when writing to a NFS volume

if I do an svn co "repo" it takes ~4 minutes to check out. If I simply copy the files to the same volume it's just over a minute.

If I check out or copy to my workstation it's just over a minute for each so I don't think this is something on the server side but I am not an SVN guy.

If I run a stats show for nfs ops on that volume while the checkout is running I see between 0 and 200 IOPS of r/w but 3k (!) of "other".

Any suggestions? This is killing our build times. NFSv3, default mount options from a Ubuntu 9.10 Subversion server.

2 REPLIES 2

aborzenkov

Those operation are likely file attributes requests. Are you running with attribute caching disabled for this NFS mount?

On the host or the client? I am not specifying anything n the export except an admin host. The client is using the following:

array02:/vol/engineering /net nfs rw,noatime,vers=3,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.0.17.214,mountvers=3,mountproto=tcp,addr=10.0.17.214 0 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public