Network and Storage Protocols

FAS2040-R5 LACP VIF issue between controllers

cserpadss

Hello I am having a very odd problem. I am setting up 2 controllers, each with its own VIF to export NFS volumes. Each controller is active/active and should be reachable on its own. The issue is that only one controller seems to be able to have an active LACP VIF at a time, otherwise if I destroy the VIF and assign individual IPs to each NIC I can reach them. When ctrlA is up and pingable the other ctrl (B) reports all links down and isn't reachable. But if I reboot ctrlA, ctrlB's VIF comes up and then it's reachable but then ctrlA reports all of its links are down and can't be reached! Below are the specs:

ctrlA e0a (management) connects to SW-A (management/data Cisco 3560G switch), subnet 10.1.100/24

ctrlA e0b,e0c,e0d (NFS) connect as an LACP VIF: (Lvif1: 3 links, transmit 'IP Load balancing', VIF Type 'lacp' fail 'default') to SW-B (storage comm only Cisco 3560G switch which is trunked to SW-C)

ctrlA e0a (management) connects to SW-A (management/data Cisco 3560G switch), subnet 10.1.100/24

ctrlA e0b,e0c,e0d (NFS) connect as an LACP VIF: (Lvif1: 3 links, transmit 'IP Load balancing', VIF Type 'lacp' fail 'default') to SW-C (storage comm only Cisco 3560G switch which is trunked to SW-B)

Both switch B and C are using IP based load balancing (not MAC).

In both switches LACP is enabled on each port connecting to the controllers (mode active).

In both switches a channel group was created for each controller.

Any ideas ?

1 REPLY 1

cserpadss

The solution of course was a simple one (as it usually is). The network engineer had port e0d from each controller go to a different switch from ports e0b and e0c. This of course created the issue. I recreated the VIFs to only use e0b and e0c for the time being until I am able to stop by the datacenter and manually switch each cable to its corresponding port in the correct switch.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public