Network and Storage Protocols

How to adjust the Windows domain name change on filers which are using that domain..?

vreddypalli

Hi,

We have lot of filer/vfilers part of a windows domain providing cifs services.  Now we have a scenario where the server team is planning to change the windows domain name.

1. What is the impact on the exising CIFS setups on filers/vfilers..?

2. How to adjust the domain name change on filers/vfilers..?

Please share the procedure if any.

Regards,
Vijay

4 REPLIES 4

aborzenkov

I guess after domain name change filer won’t be able to authenticate users. Just rerun “cifs setup” after domain name change. This does mean short outage for CIFS services. You may need to adjust your DNS configuration as well.

vreddypalli

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  This will be a tedious task for storage team.  I have one more query.

What happens to the users who are having access to the shares.. for example assuming the filer is part of windows domain "XYZ. Currently the users are added to the shares as  "XYZ\username".. and the domain name is changed to ABC..?  When we rerun CIFS setup all these user access entries will get adjusted automatically to "ABC\username"..?

Regards,

Vijay

aborzenkov

Users are authenticated using SID not name, so as long as users retain SID they will have the same permissions.

vreddypalli

That means.  When I change the domain name by running CIFS setup it will not effect the exisiting users...?

Regards,
Vijay

Public