Network and Storage Protocols

How to create CIFS ?

RRPAYNEJR

All:

I am a newb to NetApp SAN's.

I just had a FAS 2240 installed with 2 controllers

Professional services came out and did the install....

I am now trying to create CIFS Shares (So that different machines can access it on the domain)

I have read a bunch on here but I am having some issues once the CIFS are created.

Can anyone give me a quick run down... >I have tried to login via the IP/na_admin and the l/p isnt working... I am able to SSH into each of the controllers with no issues (what gives)

Any help is apprecaited...

Ron

9 REPLIES 9

spence

Have you run cifs setup first?  You need to run 'cifs setup' from CLI or you can use System Manager and run the CIFS Setup Wizard.  Once that is complete you will be able to make one or more FlexVols for which you will then create CIFS shares to point to those FlexVol(s).  If you have not installed System Manager, then please do that now.  The web interface, known as "filerview" which used to be https://IP_name/na_admin is no longer used for storage controller administration.

RRPAYNEJR

Yes the tech that installed the hardware for us, ran that as we have C$, etc and home already setup. if that makes sense. Understood about the na_admin command now

Ron

spence

Then using System Manager create a new FlexVol, choose the NAS radio button and choose the size you want.  Then create a share using and use the buttons to browse to the new FlexVol.  Alter the share permissions if you desire something other than everyone full control.  From there you will be able to \\filer\share to get to start creating files.  NTFS security is still handled by the client as normal.

RRPAYNEJR

Spence:

I have gone into System Manager and my filer is called nbtedbed1 and i click on volume and create a 5gb called test

I then created the share and browsed to the volume and called it test 1

i then did \nbtestbed1\test and ive tried \nbtestbed1\vol\test

no dice at all....

Ron

spence

It should be \\nbtestbed1\test  (not \nbtestbed1\test)

What version of Windows and version of ONTAP are you running.  We may need to enable cifs signing.

RRPAYNEJR

I meant \\ not \

Windows 7 and 8.1.1

Ron

spence

Windows 7 uses SMB 2 by default if possible and will fall back to SMB1.  SMB2 is not enabled by default until a later release (I think).  Windows 7 default GPOs will also require SMB signing.

Try this:

SSH into your controllers as root

options cifs.smb2.enable on

options cifs.signing.enable on

RRPAYNEJR

Spence:

Logged into the CLI and entered those commands... I got back errors about trying to connect to the DC... well I logged into the DC and it sees both of them.. .its tied to it... still no dice

spence

Would you like to webex and get this knocked out?  If so send me your email address (spence@netapp.com)

Public