Network and Storage Protocols

Manage a Filer with a AD account without a CIFS License

REALWAITE

Hi,

Is it possible to manage a filer with and AD account without a CIFS License?

We have 6 Filers and we do have a CIFS licencse for only 4. For those 4, we can use a active Directory account to manage it, but can we do the same thing for the two that do not have the licenses?

Thanks

Réal Waite

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

I just ran through some what if scenarios in my vsim..  If fcp or iscsi or cifs are licensed (any of the 3) then cifs setup works.  If one of the 3 are not licensed then you get the error that it needs a license.  What I did find is that if cifs is already setup, it will still start and run for authentication even without any of the 3 licensed.

I would talk to your NetApp team and ask about a demo key so you can setup cifs, cifs setup, then delete the license.  You won't be using it for protocol access just authentication and that would be a workaround (if approved).  If you ever need to modify it then you would need a key again... you don't have iscsi or fcp licensed on this system and nfs only?

Something learned new again today...or relearned   With the nfs only system a while ago... iscsi was free on all controllers back then and cifs setup would have worked the based on that.  That has to be what happened when I setup cifs only for domainuser login.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

scottgelb

You can still join the domain without a license and add domainusers for login...

aborzenkov

Will it work also without FCP/iSCSI (i.e. pure NFS)?

scottgelb

Yes. Cifs setup will run for authentication without a license.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

REALWAITE

Hi Scott,

Can you tell me how to do it because I have this message when I tried the command "cifs setup"

filer> cifs setup

CIFS is not licensed.

(Use the "license" command to license it.)

Thanks

scottgelb

What version of ontap? It may have changed since I last did it. But on a San only customer have it authenticating without a cifs license.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

aborzenkov

That’s correct, block protocol licenses enable some CIFS functionality; but I have never heard it was possible with NFS only filer.

scottgelb

I'll check of documented but remember doing it just to get domain user for login. What I am wondering now is if we had a demo key and if it just kept working after. But can't think of a change when cifs setup was disabled...but from the last post it obviously is and I missed it.

What was the ontap and licenses in the system?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

REALWAITE

Hi Scott,

DOT 7.3.6

thanks

Réal

scottgelb

I just ran through some what if scenarios in my vsim..  If fcp or iscsi or cifs are licensed (any of the 3) then cifs setup works.  If one of the 3 are not licensed then you get the error that it needs a license.  What I did find is that if cifs is already setup, it will still start and run for authentication even without any of the 3 licensed.

I would talk to your NetApp team and ask about a demo key so you can setup cifs, cifs setup, then delete the license.  You won't be using it for protocol access just authentication and that would be a workaround (if approved).  If you ever need to modify it then you would need a key again... you don't have iscsi or fcp licensed on this system and nfs only?

Something learned new again today...or relearned   With the nfs only system a while ago... iscsi was free on all controllers back then and cifs setup would have worked the based on that.  That has to be what happened when I setup cifs only for domainuser login.

aborzenkov

iscsi was free on all controllers back then and cifs setup would have worked the based on that

That's most likely reason.

REALWAITE

You're right, I did not put my license yet.

When I added my licenses, it works

Thanks

Réal

scottgelb

Very good. Then you can "useradmin domainuser add domain\user -g administrators" and use domain accounts to login and audit commands.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Public