Network and Storage Protocols

Migrate CIFS share from Netapp Filer to Windows File Server

HendersonD

I have an older Netapp FAS3020 with several file shares. I would like to migrate the data to a Window Server running the File Service. The key is to maintain ownership and NTFS permissions during the copy. For example here is one of the UNC paths for a staff members home directory:

\\filer1\staff\TowelsS

The user Active Directory user, Scott Towels, has full control over the folder TowelsS and all files/folder contained therein. How can I do this copy?

5 REPLIES 5

jjd003166

Your best solution for this would be to use something like RoboCopy.

HendersonD

Well, I do not have a newer Netapp to migrate it to. What I do have is some new storage that is strictly SAN, no NAS thus the need to front end it with a Windows File Server. I have played around with Robocopy including using several different types of command line switches. I could never get a folder full of files to copy while retaining things like ownership and NTFS rights. Is there some way to get Robocopy to work between a Netapp Filer and a Windows File Server and maintain these attributes?

peter_lehmann

robocopy source dest /E /ZB /COPYALL  /R:1 /W:1 /MT:10

to get the first load over and then

robocopy source dest /E /ZB /COPYALL  /R:1 /W:1 /MT:10 /MIR

until the cutover

This is a very simplified version, which you can extend to fit your specific needs. Be careful with /PURGE and /MIR options!

Hope this helps,

Peter

peter_lehmann

No, your best solution would be to migrate the data to a newer NetApp...

jjd003166

You are correct on that one. I was half asleep when I wrote that and was just trying to be actually helpful.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public