Network and Storage Protocols

Migrate Data to NetApp (CIFS)

keeney411

We will be migrating our CIFS user shares from an old EMC Celerra to a new 3040a cluster.

Does anyone have a best practice method of moving/copying the shared data from one location to the other. I'd like to keep dates/times/owners/acl/etc the same on the source and destination.

Thanks!!

Ed

10 REPLIES 10

BrendonHiggins

I moved files from a HP HSG80 to a FAS3050 CIFS using a PC and robo copy. Worked well with about 100Gb of office docs.

keeney411

Brendon - for a Celerra to Celerra migration we used EMC's emcopy which is their version of robocopy. I've been testing robocopy for the migration from Celerra to NetApp, but have been having a couple of issues with access to folders my admin account doesn't have an ACL for. Will continue to work on it.

Thanks!

Ed

JeremySmith

I've completed many CIFS migrations using nothing more than robocopy and vbscripts to conrol the jobs.  To get around the issue of not having permissions to files and folders you can simply add the "/B" or preferably "/ZB" to backup the files in backup mode.  Just make sure the account you are using to run the robocopy jobs has Backup Files and Restore Files privileges.

PHANIKRISSHNA

Hi Team,

Firslty i have a query like is it possible to migrate an individual user files by using securecopy tool in between EMC clariion to Netapp FAS 3220

If yes please let us know the procedure in step-by-step format this will be helpful for me in my migration part

Thanks in advance

@JeremySmith wrote:

I've completed many CIFS migrations using nothing more than robocopy and vbscripts to conrol the jobs.  To get around the issue of not having permissions to files and folders you can simply add the "/B" or preferably "/ZB" to backup the files in backup mode.  Just make sure the account you are using to run the robocopy jobs has Backup Files and Restore Files privileges.

kusek

As Brendon mentioned, robocopy makes a great tool for this.

Depending if you have extended needs as well, you can look into giving Securecopy a try.

Though for what it is worth, Robocopy will allow you to transfer data (baseline and incrementally) while retaining dates, times, owners, acl's and more.

Depending upon the depth, the amount of data you have, and the size of the window you have to transition this - you can look into breaking down the transfer based upon directory structures (Depending upon how you have your data laid out, multiple trees, etc)

If you also happen to be doing any host-data in addition to the Celerra, you should make sure that the ACL's assigned do not consist of any 'local group' type of security as this can be a challenge as part of your migration process. If it is all domain global/universal group membership as far as security goes, this likely won't pose a problem.

Good luck Ed!

Christopher

keeney411

Christopher,

As I said to Brendon, I'm working through robocopy issues. I also downloaded Securecopy and am testing that.

My major issue is access to folders that the domain admins have been removed from (HR, home directories, etc). I wonder if there is a local group membership/policy I need to change - be a member of the Backup group?

I have time to migrate, so it will be one share at a time with the first full followed by incremental updates.

All access is via the AD so we don't have to worry about local users/groups.

Thanks...

Ed

kusek

Having time at your disposal is excellent, especially while you work out some of the details (like security)

Depending upon how ownership is handled (and the ability to take advantage of things like backup group, etc)

Remember if you need to do any mass ACL based changes, you have tools like CACLS and XCACLS at your disposal to assist in any permission changes if needed.

cacls vs xcacls

Good luck in getting everything taken care of, and don't hesitate to ask anything else as you work this out!

Christopher

cebulrdcis

another options is to coordinate with your NetApp vendor..

maybe they have some tools for you from NetApp like VFM...

keeney411

Here is the latest...

robocopy and securecopy both work (I have issues with access into folders that my account doesn't have rights to - something I'll need to work out down the line).

The latest problem is that some of my source files are archived using Celerra File Archiver and have the offline bit set. When I copy the files using robocopy, the file is recalled to primary source storage and then copied over to the destination side. The problem is that the offline bit is set and is copied over as well (even though the file is no longer offline). The only way I can think of getting around this is to copy, delete and re-copy since a second run of robocopy doesn't change this bit unless the files are no longer on the destination and I can't find anything within robocopy that will reset this bit (there are other attributes that can be changed, but not the offline bit).

Thanks!

Ed

rkaramchedu1

We've used SecureCopy with success in those types of migrations. There is also a new tool from Microsoft called RichCopy but it's buggy when it comes to retaining ACLs. Downside of SecureCopy is that it is not free.

Public