Network and Storage Protocols

Restore from a snapvaulted cifs share.

TOBIAS1979

Hi

How do i restore from a snapvaulted cifs volume/qtree? I have 30 days of snapshoot copies which I acess through a cifs share, but the in the cifs share it´s impossible to say from wich date it´s??!!

How should i do?`

Rgds

Tobias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

columbus_admin

Hi Tobias,

From the look of it, you are using protection manager, all those goofy snapshot directory names...When protection manager was released, someone chose a ":" as part of the snapshot name, which is great on Unix, not so much on Windows.

Run this command on the DFM host: dfm option set pmUseSDUCompatibleSnapshotNames=Yes and it will start using "_" which is acceptable to both Unix and Windows.  The default protection manager naming will be fixed automatically and include date and time in the snapshot name, making it possible for you to see exactly what you are asking for.

The bad news is, all the existing snapshots will remain with the bad naming until they roll off.   For me, some of those were 30 to 40 days.  Aborzenkov's link will allow you to see those existing bad ones the way you want, by adding another field, "accessed", to the Windows display in explorer.

- Scott

Message was edited by: Scott Chubb

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TOBIAS1979

Is´t recomended to use snapvault as file backup?

Rgds

Tobias

columbus_admin

Hi Tobias,

Yes it is recommended, as well as encouraged.  The Windows "Previous Version" is integrated with the snapshot function.  All snapvault really is, is an offsite copy of the snapshots for long term retention.  OSSV has specifically been designed to provide backup functions for non-NetApp systems.

- Scott

TOBIAS1979

Well the previous version works with two days retention. But when I look into the snapshot in the vault it looks like this

How shuold I do to manage/fix this? I want the directories in date order.

Rgds

Tobias

columbus_admin

Hi Tobias,

From the look of it, you are using protection manager, all those goofy snapshot directory names...When protection manager was released, someone chose a ":" as part of the snapshot name, which is great on Unix, not so much on Windows.

Run this command on the DFM host: dfm option set pmUseSDUCompatibleSnapshotNames=Yes and it will start using "_" which is acceptable to both Unix and Windows.  The default protection manager naming will be fixed automatically and include date and time in the snapshot name, making it possible for you to see exactly what you are asking for.

The bad news is, all the existing snapshots will remain with the bad naming until they roll off.   For me, some of those were 30 to 40 days.  Aborzenkov's link will allow you to see those existing bad ones the way you want, by adding another field, "accessed", to the Windows display in explorer.

- Scott

Message was edited by: Scott Chubb

TOBIAS1979

Hi

Many thanks it works very well

Rgds

Tobias

Public