Network and Storage Protocols

Restoring backup image directly to /vol/vol0 by ndmp

tatsuro_handa

Hi,

I'm taking backup of vol0 by volume SnapMirror and NDMP.

In this situation, is it possiblle to restore the backup image of vol0 directly to /vol/vol0?

By using "snapmirror resync" command or ndmp restore function of a backup software,

I want to retore the backup image directly to /vol/vol0.

Is there any good way to do this?

Data ONTAP 8.0.1P3 is running on the node.

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

peterpanxiii

It would be easier to use a local snapshot to restore vol0:

find the snap that fulfills your demands via

snap list vol0

let's say nightly.2 is what you need

snap restore vol0 -s nightly.2

If there is a snapmirror relation you will see the last common snapmirror snapshot as well. Its name is something like <filername(serialnumber)>_<volname>.<#_of_snapmirror_update>

If this is a valid state of data you can use this snapshot as well.

This will be pretty fast and the filer will be rebooting.

If you are forced to do a restore from snapmirror, I would not bother break the snapmirror, then resync in opposite direction, then break mirror again, then resync once more in opposite direction to get back to normal state.

I would let snapmirror keep running and

1.mount the root share /vol/vol0 and the snapmirror destination on a UNIX machine (or use CIFS C$ Share, create a share on the snapmirror destination and connect both on a Windows host)

2.rename the original source /vol/vol0/etc to etc_old

3.copy the whole /etc from the snapmirror destination to /vol/vol0 (resp C$ Share)

4.reboot the filer

If you are content with the result, you can delete etc_old

HTH

Peter

john_higgins

I would simply cascade the vol0 snapmirror back to original filer as vol0_new, once in sync break mirror and rename vol0 to vol0_old and vol0_new to vol0 then use vol options vol0 root command to boot from retsored vol0 and reboot.  But then I like snapmirror and dont like UNIX much.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public