Network and Storage Protocols

Running subversion repo off of netapp: exclusive lock issue

scrappy_work

G'day ...

We're trying to move our subversion repo onto a netapp, but are hitting an issue that I can find asked on the net, but never answered ...

svn: Can't get exclusive lock on file '/var/svn/repos/whois/db/transactions/836-1.txn/rev-lock': Operation not supported

I'm totally new with the NetApp, so maybe this is something really obvious, but ... I'm not really sure what I'm looking for on the NetApp side.

I've seen referencing to mounting the file system 'nolock', but as we are a multi-user env, eliminatng locking really is not a solution ... the client machine is running FreeBSD 7.x, and I am able to modify files on the file system outside of subversion, so it isn't that I somehow mounted it (or exported it) read-only ...

Any help / suggestions on this much appreciated ...

Thank you ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bepresseditor

Locks on Unix/NFS are advisory, and there are several different types.  That said, you can try the various BSD command line tools (e.g. flock) that

lock files, and get them them working first.  Then proceed to get subversion locking working.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bepresseditor

Locks on Unix/NFS are advisory, and there are several different types.  That said, you can try the various BSD command line tools (e.g. flock) that

lock files, and get them them working first.  Then proceed to get subversion locking working.

scrappy_work

In this case, the solution was simplier ... I had found some posts talking about enabling locking on the NetApp, but hadn't thought to check that I even *had* a lockd running on the FreeBSD side.  And that was it ... start lockd, subversion worked ...

thanks ...

Public