Network and Storage Protocols

User Home Directories - MS Folder Re-Direction

darraghos

Hi,

I'm using user home directories without issue using an NTName naming style . I also re-direct users my documents to the users home directories using group policy by pointing it at \\filer\~. Thing is, I have to create the folders for the user manually or with a script. My question is this:

• How do I configure the filer so that ms folder re-direction can create new users folders automatically on the fly?

These is easily done with a windows file share. Basically, you setup the permissions on the share to allow users create the folders and set folder re-direction to create the folder for the user. The folder is then created in the format:

• <username>.<DomainNetBiosName> e.g. UserA.MYDOMAIN

In order to get this working with the filer i was thinking of doing the following:

1. Create a share for the users home directories e.g. share out /vol/users_homedirs/
  2. Set the appropriate permissions on this share
  3. Set the CIFS homedir config to be /vol/users_homedirs/%U%.MYDOMAIN/

Would this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

darraghos

After further consideration, this is an irrelevant question I guess. OnTap home directories are designed to work across client platforms/domains. If I wished to use folder re-direction, I should just use a standard CIFS share with the appropriate SHARE/NTFS DACLS on it. The only thing I would have to do is update the user drive mappings from

• \\myfiler\<username>
  • \\myfiler\homedirs\<username>

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

darraghos

After further consideration, this is an irrelevant question I guess. OnTap home directories are designed to work across client platforms/domains. If I wished to use folder re-direction, I should just use a standard CIFS share with the appropriate SHARE/NTFS DACLS on it. The only thing I would have to do is update the user drive mappings from

• \\myfiler\<username>
  • \\myfiler\homedirs\<username>

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public