Network and Storage Protocols

View Snapshot Directory of LUN

bsmitty23

Hey Guys,

I have a LUN presented to a server, and I've started to take snapshots with snapdrive. I know there is a .snapshot directory, but I don't see it on my Windows 2003 Server when I look at the drive. I have it enabled on the filer to show the snapshot directory. I'm just wondering if this is even possible with LUN's, or do I need to create a CIFS Share to the volume to see this data? Perhaps I need to install something on my server?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Hi,

.snapshot directory is at the volume level, so you can't see this from within a LUN (which is just a special file inside NetApp volume).

So, yes - .snapshot directory visibility is specific to accessing a volume via network protocol, like CIFS.

Regards,
Radek

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bsmitty23

Thanks guys, I just mapped a LUN to the snapshot directory, and that worked just like I want.

radek_kubka

Hi,

.snapshot directory is at the volume level, so you can't see this from within a LUN (which is just a special file inside NetApp volume).

So, yes - .snapshot directory visibility is specific to accessing a volume via network protocol, like CIFS.

Regards,
Radek

View solution in original post

adamfox

The .snapshot directory is a WAFL thing so you won't see it inside the LUN on your windows server.

To see a snapshot on a SAN host you create a snapshot-backed LUN and map it to the server as a new disk. Then you can drag and drop elements between the disks.

-- Adam Fox

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public