Network and Storage Protocols

migration from SAN to NAS

netappnasadmin

Hello folks,

can you please answer to this question:

i have filer fas2020 in SAN enviornment(iscsi) with 5 volumes in which LUN's are carved in each respective volume & now i want to move these 5 volumes to NAS environment on fas3020 & i want create the shares & NFS for the respective volumes.

can this be accomplished using vol copy..?

can you please answer & correct me.

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrendonHiggins

The filer does not know what is inside the LUN as it is managed by the host.  Have a look at robocopy or xcopy to move the files and keep permissions.

Bren

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

netappnasadmin

Thanks Fox,brenda & radek I go with Host based migration.

Thanks

BrendonHiggins

The filer does not know what is inside the LUN as it is managed by the host.  Have a look at robocopy or xcopy to move the files and keep permissions.

Bren

View solution in original post

I've got a strange feeling we may be looking here at VMware environment & moving iSCSI VMFS to NFS share.

IF that's the case then Storage VMotion may help (can be done even online), but arguably it will be another form of host-based migration (IO goes via ESX node).

Regards,
Radek

adamfox

No. You will need to do a host based migration. If you vol copy the volume you will just get another volume with LUNs.

-- Adam Fox

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public