Network and Storage Protocols

pausing vfiler migration

VAMSINTAP

i have a vfiler migration is progress .. the data is of 4Tb which is split up into 2 volumes 3 tb and 1tb ... i started off the vfiler migration using the start command ..

the 3tb data copy will get extended into the business hours which is want i want to avoid ..so to check i turned the snapmirror off when the 3tb vol base initialization was happening ..which put the volume  in the idle with restart checkpoint state .. and i was able to start the transfer from the check-point ..and the status went to initializing ..

now once the base copy is complete we would be doing the actual vfiler complete command 2 weeks from now ..so can i keep of turning snapmirror mirror off and on everynight for say 2 hours so that the copy is brought in state with the source and during the time when we issue the "vfiler complete" command there wont be much data to copy through ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Not sure the question. But typically we keep the snapmirror current as possible before vFiler migrate complete. Complete will stop the source vFiler and update all mirrors prior to target activation. I would keep mirrors updated just before the complete so the final update is small. And consider data motion which guarantees 120 second failover or ot fails back. Migrate complete has no fail back. As long as it takes to complete the final mirror it waits.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

scottgelb

Not sure the question. But typically we keep the snapmirror current as possible before vFiler migrate complete. Complete will stop the source vFiler and update all mirrors prior to target activation. I would keep mirrors updated just before the complete so the final update is small. And consider data motion which guarantees 120 second failover or ot fails back. Migrate complete has no fail back. As long as it takes to complete the final mirror it waits.

VAMSINTAP

Thanks Scott .. what i was asking here is that ... does turning snapmirror off and then on or breaking the snapmirror and resyncing it , acts indirectly as a vfiler migrate pause ...

i have filer A (hosting the main vfiler) which is doing  a sync replication to DR filer B ..now we want to move the vfiler off filer A to filer C....

current status is that the baseline copy will complete in sometime and the snapmirror state will turn to idle ..now lets says due to some performance issues i would want to stop the migration of vfiler from  filerA to filer C ....so to achive that can i just break the snapmirror and leave it and sync it back again during non-prod hours and follow the same cycle till i reach the date when the actual complete is scheduled during which i will run the vfiler complete command

also the volumes are cifs volumes ..does data motion support it

scottgelb

Snapmirror can be modified independent of vFiler migrate. As long as vFiler migrate status vFiler@source shows the vFiler migrate status and mirrors. Going from a to c if already a to b can't cascade. Cascading works for snapmirror but not vFiler migrate. It all is about the vFiler migrate status showing it exists before you can run complete.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

VAMSINTAP

i understand that snapmirror can be modified independent of vfiler migrate ..ok so the bottom line would be that as long as the vfiler migrate status vfiier@source shows the underlying volumes are snapmirrored then i then i can safely assume that when i want to execute the complete it would go without any hiccups..

the whole confusion was i didnt see any vfiler migrate  pause command ..so i wanted to cross check if the underlying snapmirror can be paused and resumed later  it shouldnt cause any issues ..when i want to issue the "vfiler complete" command

scottgelb

Correct. No pause. So you can modify mirrors prior. I like running snapmirror update on all mirrors just prior to complete. Then a minimal update for the mirror on complete.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

scottgelb

I posted the MultiStore lab guide for the current year with ONTAP 8.1 at this link  https://communities.netapp.com/thread/19743  inside one of the posts is the pdf file.

VAMSINTAP

Thank you .. btw how are you sending this via iphone .. is it via the web or an application

scottgelb

Safari. The community site has a mobile page. Enter a key code to enable it go to communities from safari and it will ask and tell you where to get the key on the computer viewed page.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

VAMSINTAP

That was nice 🙂 ... Thanks again

Public