Network and Storage Protocols

"No buffer space available" during vFiler migrate

fletch2007

Hi, I've opened a case on this, but wanted to get the community's feedback

Summary:

Last night just after initiating 2 vfiler migrations, we experienced an outage on our new 3170 running 7.3.3
It dropped off the network around 10:50pm – I could not ssh to it – I logged in via the RLM and found the cf status said up, but all the network and NFS services were down.
I ended up initiating a takeover from its partner, then a giveback after the problem head came up clean

It was logging messages like these on the RLM console:

ping: wrote 17.6.6.1 64 chars, error=No buffer space available
na01> Wed Nov 10 23:00:07 PST [irt-na01: Java_Thread:info]: Lookup of time.school.edu failed with DNS server 17.6.7.77: No buffer space available.
  syslogd: Could not forward message to host 17.2.65.2: No buffer space available
Nov 10 23:00:07 [na01: Java_Thread:info]: Lookup of time.school.edu failed with DNS server 17.6.7.77: No buffer space available.
  syslogd: Could not forward message to host 17.2.65.2: No buffer space available

CPU was high before and after the outage

NFS ops were low at the outage time

Questions:

1) is this network related buffer space?

2) How can I track the buffer space usage? (is there an SNMP exposed metric?)

3) if its network buffers - is it related to a 10GigE bug? (I thought Netapp had worked those out for the most part)

many thanks for any info / experience,

http://vmadmin.info

Fletcher

1 REPLY 1

fletch2007

Turns out it was related to a bug - details of the workaround:

http://www.vmadmin.info/2010/11/vfiler-migrate-netapp-lockup.html

thanks

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public