ONTAP Discussions

SAN Switches Migration

vims

Hello 

We are migrating from SAN DELL Force 25S switches to Cisco Nexus 31108TC-V,. 
Network engineer configured ports on Nexus and I did a test.  I figured out that Nexus does not pass iscsi traffic. 
All configuration was verified on new and old switches. I just moved on interface on Netapp and  one on the ESXi host.
So, one path on the new switch and another  on the old switch. Is there anything I am doing wrong. I do not want to shut down -move and bring everything back. I am sure i can do it ND. 

Thank you in advance.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TMACMD

You very likely have a switch config setup that is incorrect. 

I’ve personally setup some Dell switches with Netapp and Vmware and iSCSI and they are still working 5 years later. 

your mlags may not be so correctly and/ or port configuration may be wrong. 

Without sharing relevant information help will be limited

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TMACMD

Nothing that special about iSCSI. Maybe you do not have the VLAN created? does ping work? is the switch setup correctly? Even catalyst switch pass iSCSI. I do not know of any ethernet switch that fails to pass iSCSI traffic. my dumb switches and smart switches at home pass iSCSI. I would tend to think a configuration error.

are you using IGRPs on the netapp? if so, that would certainly break iscsi

I guess it would be more useful if you describe more thoroughly what your network setup looks look, including vlans and port-channels,etc rather than saying it just does not pass traffic

vims

thank you for the reply. Ill do it and provide more details 

vims

Hello,  bellow is quick sketch of what I have. It is not a sophisticated, it is simple. What I am doing is taking one path from DELL to Nexus (blue dotted lines). Everything is functioning properly but i can't ping from host to the adapter on the SAN that been moved.  

SAN.jpg

AlexDawson

Hi there!

If it starts working when you swap it back, it's unlikely to be anything on the NetApp. Swapping switches in the way you're planning would be a supported non-disruptive operation.

Check that jumbo frames are enabled if your network is using it, and that both the host and initiator ports are the same configuration in terms of native VLAN ID, trunking IDs, channel group, etc. 

Once you've checked that, Run tcpdump or wireshark on the host and pktt on the netapp to see if any traffic is getting through.

Hope this helps!

TMACMD

You very likely have a switch config setup that is incorrect. 

I’ve personally setup some Dell switches with Netapp and Vmware and iSCSI and they are still working 5 years later. 

your mlags may not be so correctly and/ or port configuration may be wrong. 

Without sharing relevant information help will be limited

vims

I completed migration. There was a problem with switch configuration  (spanning tree and some features were not enabled). Migration was ND and pretty straight forward.  Thank you everyone for assistance. 

Public