ONTAP Discussions

SNMP v3 Trap

Perf-Stor

ONTAP 9.10 is used.
I am testing SNMP v3 Trap transmission, but I cannot receive it well on the SNMP Manager side.

For SNMP v2, I was able to confirm receipt of the Trap on the Manager side.
I have the SNMP user and authentication settings on the Manager side set to match the ONTAP side settings, but I just can't get Trap reception with SNMP v3.

Packet capture showed that even though the Trap was sent with SNMP v3, it seemed to be recognized as a v2 Trap.

Do you have any advice on configuration?

Storage Engineer
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perf-Stor

There was a lack of understanding of the consistency of V3 user settings (authentication and encryption) on the SNMP manager side and the SNMP Trap filter in ONTAP.

The problem has been resolved for the time being. Thank you very much.

Storage Engineer

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RossC

Hi @Perf-Stor 

We do have a KB article that walks through troubleshooting SNMPv3 issues when the host is not receiving the trap https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Events_are_not_reaching_SNMP_trap_host 

That being said, you may have already covered most of the steps. Generally we see these sorts of issues being related to network devices (firewall for example) sitting in-between the controllers and the receiving host. 

Perf-Stor

There was a lack of understanding of the consistency of V3 user settings (authentication and encryption) on the SNMP manager side and the SNMP Trap filter in ONTAP.

The problem has been resolved for the time being. Thank you very much.

Storage Engineer

ErmalQose

Hi @Perf-Stor ,

I'm struggling with same problems and I cannot find any other topic where this issues is treated. So I think I might have the same lack of understanding of the consistency ov V3 user setting for correctly perform the configuration of SNMP V3 Trap events.

Can anybody share a guide for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Ermal

Public