ONTAP Discussions

secd.conn.auth.failure:

SVHO

Hi there,

We have been getting these event logs.  Been looking at the other posts but not getting anywhere.

secd.conn.auth.failure: Vserver (xxx_svm1) could not make a connection over the network to server (ip xxx.xxx.180.80, port 445) via interface xxx.x.180.249. Error: Operation timed out.

This message occurs when the Vserver cannot establish a TCP/UDP connection to or be authenticated by an outside server such as NIS, LSA, LDAP and KDC. Subsequently, some features of the storage system relying on this connection might not function correctly.

Ensure that the server being accessed is up and responding to requests. Ensure that there are no networking issues stopping the Vserver from communicating with this server. If the error reported is related to an authentication attempt, ensure that any related configurable user credentials are set correctly.

PInging from the command using the lif that is reported to be the issue resulted  Ok (is alive).  Please advise before we open a case with support.

ping -vserver xxx_svm1 -lif xxx_svm1_lif06 -destination xxx.xxx.180.80

Also tried this command:

nas::> vserver services name-service dns check -vserver xxx_svm1
                              Name Server
Vserver       Name Server     Status       Status Details
------------- --------------- ------------ --------------------------
xxx_svm1      xxx.xxx.180.80  up           Response time (msec): 4
xxx_svm1      xxx.xxx.180.81  up           Response time (msec): 1
2 entries were displayed.

ONTAP 9.2P1

13 REPLIES 13

GidonMarcus

hi

tell you the true. i suspect they didn't properly fixed:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1041972

is it happening only when the system has high load? specific interval? any actual impact?

i'm on 9.1P6 on my and i still get similar ones when i'm hammering the system (in my case high 10K IOPS of CIFS workload generated by robocopy).

G

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

SVHO

Thank you so much for the post.  Exactly what you described.  Its often the same time when we have robocopy jobs running (copy data to the cloud).

No impact to work.

TT

LORENZO_CONTI

Hello, we have same EMS log for some vserver in our cluster. that vserver have lif with home on different nodes of the cluster.

We can't see any correlation with load, but it's curious they started when we upgraded to 9.1P10.

GidonMarcus

Hi

this warning message could be sometime valid.

if you want to troubleshoot more - i think it's better to open a new thread and provide a bit more info/output about your configuration.

Thx

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

LORENZO_CONTI

Hello @GidonMarcus

I've replied here because I thought "hey, it seems I've the same issue".

If further investigation is required I'll open a support case.

Thank you

Lorenzo

LORENZO_CONTI

Hello, I had a rapid chat with support,

they point me to this bug:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1079727

Should be fixed in 9.1P11 (9.2P3 for @SVHO)

davidrnexon

FYI we are on 9.1P13 and we still see these alerts come through, even though lif connections are successful and we are not experiencing any problems with cifs.

JonathanWaldmeier

Hi There

We occured the same issue on Version 9.1P8. There was no connection issue or any issues related with our CIFS.

After the Update on Version 9.1P3 the EMS Events stopped and everything was fine.

Two days ago I change the DNS Servers (added two new ones, while removing the old ones).
We still do not have any issues with the connection to the DNS-Servers or the CIFS, but the messages are showing up again.

I've planed an Update on Version 9.3P5 in a few days.

I can keep you updated, if the EMS Events keep showing up after the update or if they disapear.

If they disapear the bug may still be present, but only shows if there are changes in the DNS-Settings.

Best Regards

davidrnexon

Hi,

Quick update, like 

EY

We are on 9.3.P4 but got this error. Our CIFS backup jobs are very slow. 

JonathanWaldmeier

Hi There

Like I promised, heres a quick update after the upgrade on 9.3P5.

The EMS-Events are gone! So there has to bee something if you change your DNS Servers.

I think there is still an issue with the bug mentioned.
https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1079727

The only thing I did was changing the servers for the svm and then i got the EMS-Alerts without any impact on my systems.

Best Regards,

Jonathan

geelsu

Re-addressing this issue which just appeared in our events.  They started occurring yesterday after our Domain Functional Level was raised on all our Domain Controllers due to them all being upgraded to Windows 2016 i.e. level 7 when a dsquery is performed.   Everything seems ok though with communications between the NetApp and other systems.  We are at 9.1P8

kev57-atk

We are on 9.3P16 and are seeing secd.lsa.noServers: None of the LSA servers configured for Vserver xxxx are currently accessible via the network

Also, we see lots of these too:

secd.ldap.noServers: None of the LDAP servrs configured for Vserver xxxx are currently accessible via the network

There are no network issues, nor are we using LDAP. This has been occuring for some time now. Any ideas solutions?

Public