ONTAP Hardware

Active/Passive and keeping a parition for core dumps

nhwanderer

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding if I need a data parition for core dumps on the passive node of my active/passive system.

We're running Ontap 9.1p8 on a FAS2620 with ADP.

This Ontap 9 article about active/passive says nothing about a spare parition on the second node.

This Onap 9 article about correctign misaligned spares says every node needs a spare data parition for core dumps. 

In either case, when I first setup the system and fully populated the active node with the data paritions, holding one back for a spare data parition on the passive node, the active node almost immediately "stole" that data parition through a disk copy that it apparently started all by itself. 

Thanks for any input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sgrant

Hello, to confirm you need a drive with both spare data and root partitions owned by the node to perform a core dump.

However, to maximise capacity only a single spare drive is normally allocated across the HA-Pair. Both nodes will have a single spare root partition, but only the active node will have a single data partition. This means we cannot guarantee a core dump from the passive node.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Grant.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sgrant

Hello, to confirm you need a drive with both spare data and root partitions owned by the node to perform a core dump.

However, to maximise capacity only a single spare drive is normally allocated across the HA-Pair. Both nodes will have a single spare root partition, but only the active node will have a single data partition. This means we cannot guarantee a core dump from the passive node.

Hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Grant.

View solution in original post

AlexDawson

I'll also add - the situations where you need a core-dump are very limited - and from a passive node, even more so. For the sake of efficiency, I wouldn't bother making provisions for it on a FAS2620.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public