ONTAP Hardware

Aggregate advise

CARTERFIELDS

New to NetApp and need some setup advise.  When I asked my pre-sales SE about getting the optimum space from our storage he suggested:

Yes, a couple of options are (FAS2240 w/24 disks):

1. 22 disks assigned to controller A and 2 assigned to controller B.  Highest capacity, and partner is failover over, no spare.  Most aggressive config.
    1. Controller A: 21 Disk raid group / Raid-DP Aggregate + 1 spare.
    2. Controller B: 2 disk Raid-4 Aggregate, no spare.
  2. 21 disks assigned to controller A and 3 assigned to controller B.  More conservative with spare on failover partner, slightly less capacity.
    1. Controller A: 20 Disk raid group / Raid-DP Aggregate + 1 spare.
    2. Controller B: 2 disk Raid-4 Aggregate + 1 spare.
  3. 20 disks assigned to controller A and 4 assigned to controller B.  Most balanced with spares (2 per), but lowest usable capacity config of the three options.
    1. Controller A: 20 Disk raid group / Raid-DP Aggregate + 2 spare.
    2. Controller B: 2 disk Raid-4 Aggregate + 2 spare.

Looking at doing #2.  Currently configured as a 7-mode, HA pair.  Each controller has 12 disks.  I'm unable to create an aggregate containing the partners disks.

I'm assuming I would need to create a new aggr on Cont B, move vol0 to that.  But how do I get the partners disks into Cont A's Aggregate.  Also assuming I would use/expand Controller A's aggr0?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

-Carter

3 REPLIES 3

radek_kubka

Have you got more than a single workload? If yes, why not create a more symmetrical setup (12 disks on each head) to load balance both controllers?

You won't be losing that much capacity comparing with an "asymmetrical" setup, where 3 disks are practically lost for a root aggregate.

Regards,

Radek

JGPSHNTAP

Total capacity vs overall optimal disk layout,  I tend to build out 2240's a little differently

Also, depends on how far away you are from a PFE to come onsite and replace a disk.  That also plays into the picture...

I tend to go on the side of less risk.

18 + 2 spares on A side, and B side is 3 disk aggr0 + 1 spare.    I usually sleep better at night that way

aborzenkov

If would use 2 then with RAID_DP without spares.

You unassign disks on current owner and assign them on partner.

On A: disk assign 0a.0.xx -s unowned

On B: disk assign 0a.0.xx

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public