ONTAP Hardware

Can not connect via serial or management interface to FAS2552

lsmith147

Hi,

I have a dual controller FAS2552 and I can not connect to it via serial, ssh or management web interface.

Tried to ping the cluster and individual controller IP addresses and nothing.

Any idea's on how I can connect to this?

Thanks

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mjizzini

How to connect to a NetApp system console serial port from another host

Make sure that the port is not experiencing faulty  Hardware. 

FAS2552 dont have USB functionality, but latest platform will have usb capability.

How to use the micro-USB to USB console cable with a Windows host

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Is this a new controller? Anyway, if you cannot ssh/https to it and ping is also failing that means - Either it's a network or the box is down.

Whatever subnet the IP is, is the other devices on that subnet working? If yes, then only way would be to physically connect to the box at the back and see what's happening inside.

I didn't get when you serial? (You mean using console port)? Or, Are you trying to connect remotely?

Steps:
Can you go to DC where Controller is, or use 'Remote hands': (Make sure the controller is plugged in and power is On).
1) Use the micro-usb cable to connect - One end (micro) to controller and other USB to laptop.
2) Under device manager it should detect 'COM' Port and set 115,200 baud rate, None-Parity, 8-Data bits, 1-stop bits.
3) Go to 'Session' and click open, press 'enter' you should see messages pop-up.

4) from cmd line : Check the cluster/filer is in healthy state ? check the IPs assigned, check anything that is alerting.

Thanks!

lsmith147

Hi,

Its an existing unit.

Yes so I am using a DB9 serial to rj45 cable to connect to the 10101 port on the back of the netapp, I have noticed there is also a standard USB port below this port, can this be used to console on also?

Thanks

Lee

Ontapforrum

ok. Just looked at the FAS2552 backpanel. ( Have attached it as well)

According FAS2500: USB port which is not currently functional but might be enabled in future versions.

You have to use the one labelled ‘IOIOI’ just above that ( I guess this is what you are trying to use) : This provides direct management access without the need for IP connectivity, and can be used for the initial setup of this system . Serial cable not needed for this configuration, just standard RJ45 console CAT6 I believe.

Basis settings:
COM1 {verify once in device manager}
9600 baud
8 data bits
No parity bits
1 stop bit

Mjizzini

How to connect to a NetApp system console serial port from another host

Make sure that the port is not experiencing faulty  Hardware. 

FAS2552 dont have USB functionality, but latest platform will have usb capability.

How to use the micro-USB to USB console cable with a Windows host

Public