ONTAP Hardware

Does provisioning a LUN of type Windows work when you want to configure Hyper Clustering Work

EdgarChikomo

Hi Guys. I have two host servers (running Windows Server 2012 R2) that have LUNs (Windows type) provisioned from Netapp Storage. One server is currently hosting 2 Hyper V Virtual machines – one for Exchange and the other a Windows Domain Controller with Active Directory. On the other host Hyper V is not yet configured. We now want to configure High Availability for the 2 virtual machines so we want to build a cluster for the two servers. I now want to provision more LUNs in addition to those that are already provisioned to the hosts (that are of a LUN type Windows). The recommended LUN type for clustering is Hyper V but the 2 virtual machines I am building a cluster for are already sitting on a LUN type of Windows. For LUN type uniformity does it matter if I go on and provision LUNs of Windows type for clustering? Do LUNs of windows type work when configuring clustering?

Also since the LUNs that the 2 VMs sit on were originally created being of type windows can they be converted to Hyper V type. Will the conversion process be destructive?

What is the best way to go about this task. I do not want to destroy the 2 virtual machines that are already in production

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jeff_Yao

hi

this kb detaily explains about lun type and misalignment issue.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka31A00000013R2QAI/how-to-diagnose-misaligned-i-o-based-on-lun-type-on-windows-hosts?language=en_US

hopefully helps for your question

thanks

Jeff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Yao

hi

this kb detaily explains about lun type and misalignment issue.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka31A00000013R2QAI/how-to-diagnose-misaligned-i-o-based-on-lun-type-on-windows-hosts?language=en_US

hopefully helps for your question

thanks

Jeff

EdgarChikomo

Thanks Jeff i'm answered now

Public