ONTAP Hardware

FAS 2240-4 failing to discover during System setup

Duwayne

Hello,

To most of you this is probably a simple error to fix but we can't figure out why when using the 3.1 version of the Netapp System Setup it fails to Discover the NetApp San.  They are cabled the way the instructions say to do so. We have the SAN hooked up to the same switch as the computer with the software and both are on the same VLAN.  It finds the IP of the host computer and where to look but fails to find anything it just goes through 8 minutes of discovery.  Anything simple we might be doing wrong?  I really appreciate any help.  This is my first go around with any type of SAN.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlexDawson

System Setup will only discover unconfigured systems - and it is unlikely a FAS2240-2 is still in that state.

Gideon has given some good advice on managing existing systems.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GidonMarcus

Hi

2240is likelly shipped with the old 7-mode OS and not cluster mode that the setup software should work with.

also it has 5 network cards on-board. you might be connected to a non-configured one.

if you can find a working ip address. try telnet or ssh to it. once you mange to login run "version"

if it's a 7-mode you can download and use "system manger" to mange it via a GUI. 

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

AlexDawson

System Setup will only discover unconfigured systems - and it is unlikely a FAS2240-2 is still in that state.

Gideon has given some good advice on managing existing systems.

NetAppster

How would one revert the FAS back to an unconfigured state?

Could the "setup" command be used clear the config or would i need to reboot into "Clean configuration and initialize all disks."?

or maybe another way?

AlexDawson

You need to reboot and use that option in the boot menu to erase all configuration and zero disks.

The setup script merely runs through collecting information for the system and setting those values.

Thanks!

Public