ONTAP Hardware

FAS 2552 add shelf with encrypted drives

CTAVERAS200

So I have been going back and forth with Netapp and a Vendor of ours.  I am trying to get an answer to this questoion.

I have a 2552 controller with an additional shelf (DS2246) fully populate.  I want to buy an additional ds2246 but with these self encrypting drives i hear Netapp has.

I am being told that I cannot  add tihs shelf if all the drives in the controller and existing shelf are not already populated with these drives.

I am at a loss why I cannot just create a whole new AGGR soley of these encrypted drives?  I do not want to add these drives to the existing AGGR.

Can anyone shed some light on whether this is possible in Data OnTap 8.3.2 p6 or Data OnTap 9

My plan is to move our CIFS shares to have the data encrypted at rest.

3 REPLIES 3

thomasb82

Maybe also working for you: upgrade to 9.1 and use software based encryption.

CTAVERAS200

I was told the although my FAS2552 supports Cluster Data On Tao 9.1 it does not support Software Encryption?

Sahana

Hi,

In order to have both NSE and non-NSE drives in the same cluster, you will have to have at least a 4-node cluster.  One HA-pair will be non-NSE, and the other ha-pair would be NSE drives.

After that you could then serve both encrypted and non-encrypted data from a single SVM.

You can not mix NSE and non-NSE drives in the same node or ha-pair.  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public