ONTAP Hardware

FAS2040 Bios Error

florivrenezi

Hello everyone!

I have a FAS2040 with two controllers.

One of the controllers is booting but the second one is not.

It boots straight to BMC Shell. I tried removing the controller and reinserting with no luck. Straight to BMC Shell.

I noticed in BMC when i type: sensors show i get BIOS Status Error like the screenshot attached.

Is there any way i can reinstall bios from BMC?

There is no way to boot to bios and use cli from there for updating. The only cli available is BMC CLI...

Thank you very  much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hi Florivrenezi,

If the backup BIOS image is still reporting an ERROR state then most likely the controller is damaged. Unfortunately, the controller needs to at least boot up to the LOADER prompt to proceed with any recovery efforts. Have you tried re-seating the controller and pulling the CMOS battery for several minutes?

Pressing "CTRL+G" at the BMC prompt doesn't bring you to the LOADER prompt?

You can also run "events all" from BMC and look for any BIOS, CPU, MEMORY, POST errors to see if it might be a replaceable component like a single DIMM module.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ttran

Hi Florivrenezi,

You can attempt to load the BACKUP BIOS image and then re-install the BIOS image, which will attempt to overwrite the PRIMARY image. Use the following command from the BMC shell to load the backup bios image:

BMC> system reset backup

I also recommend a cold boot as that can often times release a wedged BMC or SP that's not reading the BIOS improperly preventing the controller to boot. You can do this by powering off the system, pull out all PSU's,  and the faulty controller from the chassis to drain all power for several minutes. 

Don't forget to run "system power on" from the BMC after re-inserting all components. Then immediately switch to the console using "system console" from BMC, so you don't miss any boot-up error messages.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

florivrenezi

Thanks for your prompt response!

I tried your suggestion but BIOS Status is still in Error state...

Is there something else i can try?

Regards

ttran

Hi Florivrenezi,

If the backup BIOS image is still reporting an ERROR state then most likely the controller is damaged. Unfortunately, the controller needs to at least boot up to the LOADER prompt to proceed with any recovery efforts. Have you tried re-seating the controller and pulling the CMOS battery for several minutes?

Pressing "CTRL+G" at the BMC prompt doesn't bring you to the LOADER prompt?

You can also run "events all" from BMC and look for any BIOS, CPU, MEMORY, POST errors to see if it might be a replaceable component like a single DIMM module.

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp
Public