ONTAP Hardware

FAS2240-4 serial console not working

mrseth1

Hey All,

I have an old non-prod dual head FAS2240-4 that I'm trying to dust off for a lab filer. I can't seem to get output from the serial console port on either head. I'm using a cisco console cable, and CAN connect to the SP by pressing CTL-G on the serial console, but of course the password is not documented anywhere. When I press CTL-D, I get no output or response on the console.

What I'm trying to do is get to the boot loader so that I can reset the password on the filer. Typically I just plug into the console port and boot the filer to get to the boot loader prompt, but the process seems a little different on the FAS2240.

Does anyone know the process to get to the boot loader? It's weird that CTL-G works to display the SP, but I can't get output for the normal serial console session. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

RPHELANIN

Do you have correct settings for console session?

mrseth1

Yes. I'm using Putty with the following settings:

9600 - 8 - N - 1 - N

Flow Control - None. 

While the controller is in the process of booting, nothing displays on the console session. Once boot is complete I can press CTL-G and it displays the SP console. If I press CTL-D to go back to the console session, nothing displays, and I get no response from the keyboard. 

The fas2240-4 has been off for a while, so I was thinking it may be related to a low NVRAM battery. It's been charging for about 15 hours now, but I still can't get the session output. 

I also tried another console cable, and got the same results. What's weird is that I can get into the SP console via the serial console with the CTL-G and it displays and works via the serial console, but when I press CTL-D to go back to the seriel console, nothing is displayed. 

Danil

Hello mrseth1,

Have you managed to solve this problem? I am facing exactly the same behaviour, i.e. console is completely unresponsive, no messages are shown during bootup, I can access and enter SP using Ctrl+G sequence (root password is known). How can I make it boot?

Best regards,

Danil

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public