ONTAP Hardware

FAS2240 Mixing 3gb and 6gb SAS Shelves

jasonnash

Hi,

Looking for suggestions around mixing 3Gb and 6Gb SAS shelves. Currently have a dual controller FAS2240 with a separate SAS and SATA shelf with 6Gb SAS. I have another 3Gb, DS4243 15k SAS shelf which I would like to add to the 2240. I know this will reduce the SAS speed down to 3Gb. Is this a bad idea? Am I likely to suffer a performance hit?

Any feedback appreciated..

Thanks

Jason

3 REPLIES 3

SHARMAMANISH

I would never suggest mixing of SAS drives. It must be the same size & if you are not using than it could be the cause of Performance Bottleneck.

Message was edited by: Manish Sharma

radek_kubka

We are not talking here about mixing drives within aggregate - the discussion is about mixing different types of SAS shelves within the same back-end stack.

Whilst you can fairly easily create multiple aggregates on a smaller system, having more than one stack on FAS2240 is  impossible, unless you don't use MP-HA cabling.

radek_kubka

You are allowed to have one transition between 3Gbit & 6Gbit modules within the same stack. In theory performance shouldn't suffer in most circumstances, however some people were saying they had problems.

Have a look at this thread:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/83809#83809

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public