ONTAP Hardware

FAS2520 900 GB SAS Internal Drives only 3 Gbps Interface speed?

mdervovic

Hi all!

When checking the interface speed for FAS2520 internal drives, the HWU states that the 900 GB (X488A-R5) SAS Drives only seems to have an interface speed of 3 Gbps. For all other SAS drives the HWU states an interface speed of 6 Gbps. 

disks.JPG

Is this a typo?

If not, is the interface speed of the internal bay throttled down to only 3 Gb/s if using those 900 GB SAS Drives and does this even affect addtionally attached 6 Gb/s SAS Shelves like the DS2246?

Thanks in advance,

--Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DAMNX6789

Hello Markus,

this could be a possible typo as the X488A-R5 drive translates into the Hitachi HUC109090CSS600 drive.

The drive itself has an interface of 6GB/s. Though, an official statement would be nice. 😉

I'm quite sure that the connection to an IOM6 won't be throttled, but I would not recommend mixing 3GB/s and 6GB/s disks in the same aggregate. (but maybe it's only a typo)

drive.JPG

SAS_Disk.JPG

Regards

Michael

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

DAMNX6789

Hello Markus,

this could be a possible typo as the X488A-R5 drive translates into the Hitachi HUC109090CSS600 drive.

The drive itself has an interface of 6GB/s. Though, an official statement would be nice. 😉

I'm quite sure that the connection to an IOM6 won't be throttled, but I would not recommend mixing 3GB/s and 6GB/s disks in the same aggregate. (but maybe it's only a typo)

drive.JPG

SAS_Disk.JPG

Regards

Michael

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public