ONTAP Hardware

FAS8040 missing 4 onboard ports

SEIMTEXTER

e0e through e0h are not showing up in my sysconfig -v output on one of two controllers in one of our customer's FAS8040 systems.  I am curious if there's a way to enable these ports, or if there's a replaceable component besides a full controller replacement to fix this.  Any input is welcome.  Thanks!

SEIMTEXTER_0-1600714220274.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sudheer1

Hello, 

If the ports are missing in sysconfig -v, likely there's a dead PCIe switch which requires a PCM replacement.

e0e-e0h are UTA2 ports, so first you need to check if it's actually missing or not. 

Possibly, It would have been configured for FC, which won't show e0e-e0h in sysconfig -v but  only shows  0e-0h

you can check the port personality using the command "ucadmin show" , if the mentioned ports shows as FC mode then it needs to be changed to CNA. 

1. network fcp adapter modify -node node_name -adapter adapter_name -status-admin down
  2. ucadmin modify -node node_name -adapter adapter_name -mode cna

Reboot the node, and then bring the adapter online.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sudheer1

Hello, 

If the ports are missing in sysconfig -v, likely there's a dead PCIe switch which requires a PCM replacement.

e0e-e0h are UTA2 ports, so first you need to check if it's actually missing or not. 

Possibly, It would have been configured for FC, which won't show e0e-e0h in sysconfig -v but  only shows  0e-0h

you can check the port personality using the command "ucadmin show" , if the mentioned ports shows as FC mode then it needs to be changed to CNA. 

1. network fcp adapter modify -node node_name -adapter adapter_name -status-admin down
  2. ucadmin modify -node node_name -adapter adapter_name -mode cna

Reboot the node, and then bring the adapter online.

View solution in original post

SEIMTEXTER

It looks like the 4 ports show like you said as 0e, 0h, etc, so I may just need to re-configure them according to instructions here:  https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-sanconf%2FGUID-6C7DC7FB-8EA5-4997-89B5-9FB2F553AFA7.html

Going from FC to CNA mode and we should be all set.   Thank you!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public