ONTAP Hardware

Failover of LIF for CIFS and NFS on cDOT 8.3

JOHANSEGERS

Hi,

I have a FAS8040 with cDOT 8.3 called FAS14

I have setup failoverr of LIFs in the following way:

1. created a LIF for CIFS using e3b of node1 of FAS14

2. set up failover policy as user-defined on that LIF

3. created a failover-group FOG-CIFS for the SVM CIFS with e3b of node1 and e3b of node2 in it

Currently, the user-fail-overgoup of the LIFs is seen as unused. Do i have to change it to "enbaled" ? If so, how can i that ?

Do i have to do something more for failover ?

I did the same for a SVM for NFS.

Question: When e3B of node1 goes down, does e3b of node2 takes over automatically using this setup ?

Or do i need interface groups for failover and a separate Ipspace and broadcast group ?

Regards,

Johan

3 REPLIES 3

colsen

There's a lot that goes into failover LIFs, failover groups, etc.  I'd recommend jumping to page 69 of the following:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1636021

That will explain the concepts in a lot more detail than can be easily done here and it'll make sure you don't lose data connectivity in a failover and/or other failure.

Hope that helps!

Chris

JOHANSEGERS

I looked into this document for V 8.3  :2 remarks:

1. it does not speak anymùr about use-failover-group.  ?????

2. As long as the default failover group exists holding all the ports, the failover goes wrong if it takes this a wrong port. I cannot remove ports from this failover group..... and i cannot delete the Default failover group.

3. Does this mean that user-defined failover-groups have alwqys prefenrence over the default failover group ?

Best regards,

Johan

robinpeter

IF you are on Ontap 8.3 or 9 there is little to no reason to manage your network-failover group manually.
You should be managing the broadcast-domain by grouping the ports in to broadcast-domain (same vlan, type & speed)
rest will be managed by ontap, if you use the appropriate settings "failover-policy and failover-group" for the LIF while creating it.

You can use the following command to get the LIF's settings.

::> net int show -fields auto-revert,firewall-policy,failover-group,status-admin,dns-zone,role,data-protocol,home-node,home-port,auto,listen-for-dns-query,ipspace,failover-policy,netmask-length,address

The following list describes how the -failover-policy setting affects the target ports that are selected from the failover group:

broadcast-domain-wide : All ports on all nodes in the failover group.
system-defined        : Only those ports on the LIF's home node and a non-SFO partner.
local-only            : Only those ports on the LIF's home node.
sfo-partner-only      : Only those ports on the LIF's home node and its SFO partner.
disabled              : The LIF is not configured for failover.

Types of failover policies Click here

Configuring failover settings on a LIF Click here

I have attached a sample output from a recently configured (ontap 9.1) cluster.

If you select the fixed-width font in a text editor the output file should be formatted.

hope this help.

robin.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public