ONTAP Hardware

Flexclone process can take a long time

GRAEMEOGDEN

I'm curious to know what factors can impact the speed of the flexclone and volume creation process?

We have a Powershell script which takes a flexclone of an SQL database every 30 minutes. By running "snap list <volname>" I can see the snapshot is taken instantly - as expected. However the volume creation from that snapshot can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes. By the time the LUN contained within the flexcloned volume is mounted to the server, the script can sometimes have been running for 35-40 minutes which means the next job is skipped.

During working hours, CPU usage on the filer is around 60% on average, so I doubt this is having such an impact on time to create a volume? There are no snapmirrors running at the same time and de-dup operations are scheduled out of hours....

Any thoughts?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Jeff_Yao

this is really hard to say. if it's split, easy to understand. it's copying data out from snapshot. but i think u r not talking about that.

so it is best to open a case and collect some perfstat to analyse it.

Jeff

GRAEMEOGDEN

I noticed there were a lot of 'dead' FC paths on the ESXi host, rescanning the HBAs removed these and seemed to speed up the process of mounting a flex clone to the Guest OS. Not sure why!

Hi

I ve the same problem with a FAS 3240 with Dataontap 8.1 ( and 8.1P3 )  .Randomly , flexclone process take a long time to complete . We have experimented this problem with the following command  ( vol clone create , vol offline <clone_volume> , vol destroy <clone_volume> ) .

Ha ve you solve  this problem , If yes  , I'm very very interested to know that you have do

Regards

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public