ONTAP Hardware

Hot Spares on V-Series

ttrace_essence

Greetings, looking for confirmation and second opinions --

I've got a V-Series 3240 HA pair running 8.0.2RC1.  Attached are 3x DS-4243 with 450GB 15K RPM SAS and 1x DS-4243 with 1TB 7.2K RPM SATA.  I expect to add another four DS-4243 with SAS drives by the end of 1Q2012.  I don't expect to add any more SATA disk.

At the risk of oversimplification, regarding the native NetApp disk, do I understand correctly that for proper protection each filer must own two SAS and two SATA spares?  And that as my system grows towards 168 SAS disks, I should maintain three SAS spares per filer?

And...the back-end storage (three seperate Clariion CX-3) will swap its own hot spares into RAID groups as necessary, requiring no direction from the NetApp filers?

Thank you ----

1 REPLY 1

lovik_netapp

Yes, you need minimum 2 spare disk of each type on controller, but you don't need to keep spare if controller doesn't use that disk type. I mean if you have SATA disk on controller1 and SAS disk on controller2 then you need 2 spare disk of SATA on controller1 and 2 SAS spare on controller2, you don't need to keep 2 sata and 2 sas disk on each controller.

I believe you are using native disk and backend array both on your systems, so you need spare only for native disk and for your CX-3 system no spare is required and all the luns assigned to v-series from CX-3 are already in raid protection by clarion so V-Series dosen't have to worry about the spare disk.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public