ONTAP Hardware

How to Update CN1610 Cluster Switch

ScottMiller

I have to update FASTPATH on my CN1610.  On the download page, there are links to download the FASTPATH stk, the MIBs and the RCF.  There are instructions on the page for updating FASTPATH and applying the RCF, but nowhere on the page does it describe what to do with the MIB file.  Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SYNTAXERROR

Check the RCF and the corresponding FASTPATH OS and OnTap first:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/cm_switches_ntap/

So you can guess the upgrade path...

The MIB file is just for a monitoring tool for example and is not used on an upgrade...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Ola_at_T

Also, what is the correct order of updates? 

Do I upgrade the filer OS first, or switches first?

ScottMiller

Switches go first.

I never heard from anyone on this, but I've concluded that the MIB gets imported into a management tool like Solar Winds.  Guessing here, but lacking a response...

JustinM

Hi all,

I have been tasked with upgrading the firmware on the following switches:

• 2* NetApp CN1610 Cluster Switches
  • 2* NetApp CN1601 Management Switches
  • 2* HP StorageWorks 8/40 Power Pack+ FC SAN Switches
  • 2* HP SN600B FC SAN Switches
  • 4* HP Brocade 8Gb Blade FC SAN Switches

I am keen to get some information/links etc to assist me with this task.

I look forward to your collective responses.

Regards

SYNTAXERROR

Check the RCF and the corresponding FASTPATH OS and OnTap first:

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/cm_switches_ntap/

So you can guess the upgrade path...

The MIB file is just for a monitoring tool for example and is not used on an upgrade...

SYNTAXERROR

What kind of Ontap and FastPath is installed at the moment and where do you wanna go?

JustinM

Hi,

The OnTAP version is 9.1 and the CN1610 firmware was default (1.1.0.1).  We have since upgraded the firmware to 1.2.0.7 but we upgraded the RCF to 1.2 first.  You will see that a colleague has posted here before (Bernie) asking about Telnet.  We are working together on this.  We have now found that we are unable to Telnet to either switch post upgrade.  We can however still directly connect using the serial port.

Any assistance or guidance regarding this is gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Justin

SYNTAXERROR

Hey Guys

Why don't you use ssh?

It is really not secure to use telnet! 

Anyway telnet can be enabled with:

ip telnet server enable

over the serial console or over ssh.

Cheers

robinpeter

The reason you are unable to use telnet is here..

$ diff CN1610_CS_RCF_v1.1.txt CN1610_CS_RCF_v1.2.txt
1c1,2
< ! NetApp CN1610 Cluster Switch RCF v1.1 (2014-01-15), starting with clustered Data ONTAP version 8.2.1.
---
> 
> ! NetApp CN1610 Cluster Switch RCF v1.2 (2015-01-13), starting with clustered Data ONTAP version 8.3.1.
4a6
> no ip telnet server enable
32c34

As you can see in RCF_v1.2 telnet is disabled.. i tried to find a release notes.. but i didnt able to..

Why its disabled..!? may be you can get that answer by opening a case with netapp support..

However, i strongly recommend you using SSH (if thats an option for you)

and you can enable ssh using follwing commands.

(CN1601) > en
(CN1601) # ip ssh protocol 2
(CN1601) # configure
(CN1601) (Config)# crypto key generate dsa 
(CN1601) (Config)# crypto key generate rsa 
(CN1601) (Config)# exit
(CN1601) # ip ssh server enable
(CN1601) # show ip ssh

Robin.

chalmugh

The RCF version 1.2 disables telnet for security reasons with the line "no ip telnet server enable". They force to use ssh.

andris

That is correct. Using Telnet is not a security best practice.

See: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1064173

bernie

Hi all,

We have just upgraded the RCF and firmware on our two CN1610 switches to NetApp_CN1610_1.2.0.7.  This is a supported configuration given our current version of OnTAP (9.1).  After the upgrade however we have found that we are unable to connect to either switch using Telnet.  Is there a specific reason for this?  How can we get this enabled?  It's obviously quite fundamental that we get this resolved so that we can continue to actively check/monitor and continue to administer these cluster switches.

I hope you are able to help.

Regards

saranraj456

Will there be difference in upgrading to version 1.1.0.8 and 1.2.0.7 ?  the procedure provided in the following link - https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP11694144 , explained about Migrating the interface , is it a mandatory procedure for going to 1.2.0.7 ?

Thanks
Saran

saranraj456

Thanks for your reply . I need to rephrase my query, did the procedure for migrating to Version 1.2.0.7 and other versions are same ?. 

There is a step for migrating the interface in this document- https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP11694144. So , wanted to check on that.

andris

There is a more recent document that coveres ONTAP 8.3+ environments.

FASTPATH 1.2.0.7 download and installation instructions

To download and install the FASTPATH 1.2.0.7 image to your switch, see the Installing FASTPATH software and RCFs on NetApp cluster switches running ONTAP 8.3.1 and later flyer.

Note: You should install RCF 1.2 before upgrading to FASTPATH 1.2.0.7.

Public