ONTAP Hardware

How to add another DS4243 shelves to an existing stack connected to FAS3240 HA pair

mdvillanueva

Hi Experts,

We are about to add another DS4243 shelf with SATA drives, in an existing stack. We want to do this without downtime. On the last shelf in the stack order, I cannot remember which SAS cable should I unplug first. Is it the SAS cable connected to the filer or the SAS cable connected to the shelf next to last in the stack order? Please see attached diagram

Also, what do I need to do next after they are attached? What commands I need to run?

We have ONTAP 8.02 P3 7-mode.

Thanks,

Maico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ARCOHAKNL

First disconnect the cables that go to the last shelf of the stack.(the red ones in your picture)

Then connect the cables from the new shelf to the ports you just disconnect,

Be carefull to connect a square to a cirkel and NOT a square tot a square.

Then after that reconnect the cables you disconnected in the first step to th newly placed shelf.

Check if the disk are visible (storage show disk -p) and are multipathed.

After you see the disks, if auto assign is active the disks are assigned to your filer.

If not, assign the disks by entering disk assign <disk name> or if you want to assign them all to 1 controller, use disk assign all

After that, you can add the to a new aggregate, or create a new one.

aggr add <aggregate name> <disk> or aggr create <aggregate name> <disk>

Cheers,

Arco

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

aborzenkov

It does not really matter which cable you unplug first as long as you do it one at a time ☺

After physically attaching shelf you need to assign disks in new shelf to controller(s) using “disk assign”. It could be that disks will be assigned automatically if the whole stack is currently owned by single controller.

ARCOHAKNL

First disconnect the cables that go to the last shelf of the stack.(the red ones in your picture)

Then connect the cables from the new shelf to the ports you just disconnect,

Be carefull to connect a square to a cirkel and NOT a square tot a square.

Then after that reconnect the cables you disconnected in the first step to th newly placed shelf.

Check if the disk are visible (storage show disk -p) and are multipathed.

After you see the disks, if auto assign is active the disks are assigned to your filer.

If not, assign the disks by entering disk assign <disk name> or if you want to assign them all to 1 controller, use disk assign all

After that, you can add the to a new aggregate, or create a new one.

aggr add <aggregate name> <disk> or aggr create <aggregate name> <disk>

Cheers,

Arco

mdvillanueva

Hi Arco,

Thank you for the detailed answer. Which part do I assign a number on the shelf? I know you have to press some buttons at the front of the shelf, correct?

Maico

ARCOHAKNL

Correct, on the left is adisplay. if you remove the plastic bracket from the shelf, there's a dipswitch behind it.

If you press it for a second of 2, it will start to blink.

Bij pressing it shortly, you can change your shelf ID.

Use a shelf ID that is unused, use the number on you last shelf and add one.

After changing, just press it a few seconds and the display will blink again.

Reboot the shelf and check if the ID is correct.

Do this before you connect the shelf to your stack.

Cheers,

Arco

mdvillanueva

Thanks again Arco,

Right now when I use the ‘storage show disk –p’, I see this (I did not include all the output):

1> storage show disk -p

PRIMARY PORT SECONDARY PORT SHELF BAY

ARCOHAKNL

You should see that your disks are connected by multipath

Under primary you see the disk, under port you see B

Under secondairy you see the disk again, under port the A

Maybe it's the other way around, your ports can be A as pri, B as sec.

mdvillanueva

Sorry I don’t know why my entire reply did not show up. Here again is my reply:

Right now when I use the ‘storage show disk –p’, I see this (I did not include all the output):

1> storage show disk -p

PRIMARY PORT SECONDARY PORT SHELF BAY

3a.10.0 A 0a.10.0 B 10 0

3a.10.1 A 0a.10.1 B 10 1

3a.10.2 A 0a.10.2 B 10 2

3a.10.3 A 0a.10.3 B 10 3

3a.10.4 A 0a.10.4 B 10 4

3a.10.5 A 0a.10.5 B 10 5

3a.10.6 A 0a.10.6 B 10 6

3a.10.7 A 0a.10.7 B 10 7

3a.10.8 A 0a.10.8 B 10 8

3a.10.9 A 0a.10.9 B 10 9

3a.10.10 A 0a.10.10 B 10 10

3a.10.11 A 0a.10.11 B 10 11

3a.10.12 A 0a.10.12 B 10 12

3a.10.13 A 0a.10.13 B 10 13

I cannot be sure if autoassign is active. But I think since we are using HA, each controller sees all the disks and shelves even if some are assigned to the other filer in the HA pair.

How can I double-check if auto-assign is on? Also if I assign manually, if I use the “disk assign all”, does that automatically assign only those that are unassigned?

Maico

aborzenkov

Disk auto-assignment is controlled by option disk.auto_assign.

“disk assign all” assigns only unassigned disks.

ARCOHAKNL

your output looks fine.

To check if the disks are assigned, enter disk show -n

If there are any, this will give you a list and you can than assign them.

To check if autoassign is on, you can check by entering options disk.autoassign

On means active, off means not active:-)

The filer where you enter the disk assign command will be the owner, sof if you have a cluster be carefull.

The number of ID you assigned to the shelf by the dipswitch, should aslo be correct.

In your output it says 10, so if you did that, it's looking well.

Arco

mdvillanueva

Thanks again.

I see somewhere where it says run this to verify all disks can be seen by system

sas admin shelf<adapter name>

Whats the adapter name that this is pertaining?

Also based on the result of 'storage show disk -p", which one is the disk name? is it the primary?

will the disk.assign command look something like this? I see somewhere this command "disk assign -o <systemid><disk id> #

Can you please give me an example on how the disk assign will look like base on the output i have on the 'storage show disk -p"?

ARCOHAKNL

Your output says that it is already assigned.

So autoassign is working.

If this was disabled, disk show -n shows you the disks that not commited to a controller.

Output will show for example that disk 3a.10.3 is not assigned.

In that case you can assign it by disk assign 3a.10.3

the sas admin command shows the disks seen by a adapter.

That will show if a cable is working well.

mdvillanueva

Thanks again. Is the PRIMARY and SECONDARY in the ‘storage show disk –p’ pertaining to the multipath?

Maico

202.403.5204 (Office)

202.445.3640 (Mobile)

mdvillanueva

One last question. Should the shelf be powered-on when performing the SAS cabling?

ARCOHAKNL

Not necessary, power up the shelf, enter the shelf ID and reboot the shelf.

After that,start the cabling.

Th storage will detect the disk in a few seconds

If you have powered down the shelf and then cable the system, it takes more time before the system detects the new disks

I;m always do this with a powered on shelf, but if you want, you can do it with the shelf powered off.

mdvillanueva

Arco,

is there a difference with the cabling of ACP vs SAS? because I can that we use both right now. I am not sure about the order of cabling ACP.

Thanks,

Maico

radek_kubka

Hi Maico,

It may look similar, but there is a difference - e.g. there is no concept / need for multipath-HA cabling for ACP.

This doc gives more info with examples:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMM1280392

Regards,

Radek

mdvillanueva

Hi Radek,

This is how it currently looks like for us. I plan to add another SATA shelf at the bottom (SATA #22).

Is there anything wrong with the cabling here? I want to disconnect last two ports of SATA 21, but I can see that lower-right port is connected to filer 002.

Public