ONTAP Hardware

ISCSI basic setup?

stanleyj42

I want to assign a LUN to a physical windows server 2008 R2 machine using two 1gb ethernet connections.  I feel that i have everything in place but for some reason i cant get the multipathing to work and I want to see what im missing.

Fas 3240

Vprod - 276 - 10.127.6.2

Vprod - 277 - 10.127.7.2

Windows machine

Ethernet 2 - 10.127.6.10

Ethernet 3 - 10.127.7.10

Ethernet 2 is on vlan 276

Ethernet 3 is on vlan 277  I can ping both vprod interfaces from the windows machine.

I am able to discover both initiators but i can assign one of them.  If I open MPIO the iscsi multipathing option is greyed out.

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

stupendousman

With W2K8R2 MPIO is a feature that needs to be installed.  Check if this feature is installed.

venkat3

hi stanleyj42

welcome to communities.

>If I open MPIO the iscsi multipathing option is greyed out.

Can you post a screenshot of the greyed out option. I can look and help you better.

(ignore if you knew before --- I would recommend using Netapp SnapDrive tool for creating / mapping luns from windows end.)

did some google around this and found http://blogs.technet.com/b/migreene/archive/2009/08/29/3277914.aspx

>Looks like you have to make at least one iscsi connection before you have the option to enable MPIO for iscsi.

hope this helps

-srini

stanleyj42

I saw a similar article to the one you posted and once i finally did get my sessions to connect the option did become avaiable.  Thanks for the help.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public