ONTAP Hardware

Multiple cluster switches showing on the cluster

Craig_Schuer_Peak

Hello,

A customer of mine is seeing some weird things on their cluster, though I have seen this before and haven't really thought much about it. 

When running a 'system cluster-switch show' command, they see not only the cluster switches of the local cluster, but cluster switches of other clusters as well. They are in the same subnet as far as management IPs and the switches that are not for the local cluster are showing a 'type' as management-network, not cluster-network like the local cluster switches. 

Doing a 'net device-discovery show' command shows me those same switches on ports e0g, e0h and e0M, not e0c and e0d like the local cluster network LIFs are setup at. Could this also be because LIFs on those 3 ports are in the same subnet as the management IPs of the local cluster switches?

A bug maybe? 

Thanks for help ahead of time! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andris

Just delete the "management-network" switch entries with -force to make them really disappear.

switch ethernet delete -device <name> -force

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-cli-9131//system-switch-ethernet-delete.html

Also, if you don't use CDP in your management network, disable CDP on your ONTAP nodes.
Note: CDP will remain enabled on the cluster network ports, regardless of CDP being "disabled".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

BRadyovich

Yep, seen this funky cluster-switch show thing before. If those switches from other clusters are rocking a 'type' as management-network, it could be subnet shenanigans. Check if LIFs on e0g, e0h, and e0M are cozying up with the management IPs of local switches.

andris

Just delete the "management-network" switch entries with -force to make them really disappear.

switch ethernet delete -device <name> -force

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap-cli-9131//system-switch-ethernet-delete.html

Also, if you don't use CDP in your management network, disable CDP on your ONTAP nodes.
Note: CDP will remain enabled on the cluster network ports, regardless of CDP being "disabled".

Public